OT Ebay Scam

If you list a lot of items on ebay you might want to be aware in case you get an e mail asking you what your buy it now price is. They ask you to click on a link that looks like an e bay link, but if you check the properties of the link, it is actually going to a foreign website. They also ask you something about your paypal account. There was one clue right away that this was a scam. It is the fact that I do not have an e bay account. In the past I have received e mail to update my paypal information which would also be fine except I also do not have a payal account.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

This is not particular to ebay. I getting tons of emails like impersonating banks, etc.

For c> If you list a lot of items on ebay you might want to be aware in case

Reply to
anton

That practice is referred to as 'phishing', a cheap trick to get your information. Don't be temped to follow it to see what happens, because they could potentially run scripts that do damage.

If you really feel you have to check your account, don't follow their link but type the url yourself.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I get those too.... and I don't have a pay-pal account, so off to the spam folder with them...

Reply to
dragenwagen

One more thing you can always check the autheticity of the email messages by looking at the headers of the email. Most often you can find the real originating address.

Be safe,

Anton

dragenwagen wrote:

Reply to
anton

What we need is antipersonnel bomb we can send down the internet wire. Take out the whole nest.