OT: Flame Wars...........Oops.

On June 30th 2004, I went to work.( This is not unusual on a Wednesday.) I usually sit down at a desk out in the shop and do the paperwork from the previous day, and did so just the same as always, this particular day. Now, I typically get done with my paperwork before 8:00. This day was no different in this regard. Finished up, about 7:45am............No problem, right? Wrong. Well, in the sense that there would be no problem anyway.

Since it has been raining in almost record amounts for the whole month, it was really humid and stuffy in the shop, so I Figured it was time to utilize the exhaust fan in the shop wall, to pull some A/C air into the shop through ( yeah, *through ) the garage door next to the desk, so I got up and went to turn it on...............So far so good.

Got to the area where all the fan switches were and found that they were already switched on, and thought "must be a breaker blown" you know,...... thinking that maybe some lightning had maybe caused a surge and kicked some breakers. So, right next to the swithes for the fans sits the breaker box, 440 3 phase, 6' tall breaker box. there are three, so I figured start with the closest one, and check 'em out.............processing the thought anyway.

Upon opening the first box it was obvious which breaker was kicked, so I flicked it toward the "on" position to check it out, sure enough, it was opened by a fault. That seemes normal to me, as I have reset so many circuit breakers in my life, I can;t recall a small part of them nowadays.........................I pushed the breaker back to reset it, and felt it click,...............once again very normal to me, and as habits be habits, went ahead and pushed the switch to the on posistion ...........BAM!

The power decided to find ground quickly and loudly. A Deafening bang as the flames rushed out around the face plate. Fortunately, not through it.

The security camera got more of it but this shot was let out of the bag long enough to make it all over the internet, so Sheryl emailed it to me at one of my dealerships today. ( Sheryl is my wife, she works at the same place I do and stays in the office all day, while I drive around and visit dealers for my work)

As you can see, there was a pretty big bunch of flame showing at the capture on the picture, there was another guy sitting in the van with all the oors open in the picture too,..................The explosion rocked the video camera that filmed it too. It's mounted about 30 feet up and across the shop about 40 feet, so I'd give it a 50 foot distance using the Pathagoran theory.

Anyone ever seen what happens when 440 goes to ground in front of you?

The flames went at me so fast I just turned and walked away. While making my exit checking by touch to see what damage may have happened to my face and legs and ears and such,................I dropped my damn Pop-Tart.................LOL. I lost all the hair on my right arm and burned a couple of fingertips. No major damage at all. After seeing the moving pictures though, I feel very flame resistant and don;t think the flame wars on Newsgroups can do me much harm. I fell Blessed to be alive, as the power found its way to ground through the wall behind it ( concrete soaked with water from all the rain of late)

The damage to the system (electrical ) was massive, and took all day to repair, and half of the night last night. I have never ever ever seen anything like this happen before, and thought maybe by sharing this, as an example, ...........Maybe someone out there might just leave something alone before they kill themself. If the power had grounded through me, which it very likely could have, since I was just recently indoors form the rain, I could have been a pile of ashes..............Fortunate...............I lived to telll about it.

If the company will make it available I'll share it on a website also, but they are being kinda odd about it. Like I am a criminal or something...................Oh well, in todays worls, I'm not sure I'd sare it either. Especially with the *victim*

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

i'm an electrician in st. louis, mo. where do you live??

yeah, i have seen 480 blow about 5 feet in front of me. loud crack of thunder and unable to see for a few minutes--minor flash burns to the eyes. had to wear sunglasses inside all the next day, hurt too much to even have the lights on. scary crap. seen too many others that were burned by 480. unfortunately, these accidents do happen in our business.

anyway, muadib, glad you weren't hurt. as a precaution next time, turn your head away from the panel before resetting the breaker.

Reply to
bob

thats crazy, being a electrician myself i have seen some hellacious fireballs from electricity. Maybe that will put it into to perspective to some how dangerous it really is.

Awesome picure btw, and glad you werent hurt or anyone else for that matter. Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:11:46 GMT, MUADIB® ran around screaming and yelling:

i wouldn't call losing a poptart "no major damage"....that is poptart abuse and you should be punished....LOL....Scott, glad you made out okay....could have been BAD, i'm glad it wasn't(other than the mentioned poptart abuse)

JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

But did he toast his pop-tart during the incident? That's what I want to know.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Once the Pastry hit the ground it was of no use to me , so I didn;t check. I really did mean for some seriousness to come of this and felt it was a bit *too* heavy, so I threw in the Pop-Tart part. It's true, but of no significance.

Once again, if you get anything from this original post, It is that ANYTIME could be *your time* and I was very fortunate.

The little black "stripe in the flames" is definitely me though.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

AH HAH! *That's* why the power went out the other day.

Did you figure out what initially caused the breakers to trip?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:11:46 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Damn good thing you weren't hurt. Who would help me install your new front door if you'd injured yourself with that little stunt???

John Willis

"MUADIB®" wrote

Holy cow, what a picture. I'm glad you're okay, Scott.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Lightning Strike blew a resettable for an exhaust fan, and crippled the circuit. No one knows for sure, but it appears to me, as though the power went looking for ground instead of kicking the breaker again, and found it in the wall it was mounted to. I suppose it was seeking ground through the moisture in the wall, since it has been raining 19 days of the month. The wall must have had enough water in it to save my hide.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:06:51 GMT, MUADIB® ran around screaming and yelling:

you bet it was "heavy"..that is also why i chose to persue the abuse of poptarts...

you *are* indeed lucky....glad it went the way it did.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

...hmmm...that wasn't what *I* got from the original post at all.. What I got from it was to always convince a co-worker to flip the breaker back on for you...just in case. =-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I once had 600 volts DC run through my chest-in one arm and out the other-(touched hard ground whilst the other arm laid on an old tube-type mobile 2way radio)-it actually knocked the breath out of me and put me on my knees... no skidmarks but not much fun-the ol' ticker skipped a few beats that time, for sure...

anyways, consider yourself VERY lucky (you are heading to Vegas for the weekend, right?)

Reply to
Greg Smith

I don't men to be rude... but AhHAHAHAHAhahahhAhahaah! That photo is very cool... especially since you came out "unscathed" almost!

Awesome! Buy a lottery ticket!

Allan :-)

If you don't, it's its.

and likewise yours

Reply to
Allan Williams

Whew! That's pretty scarey!

We had a straight-wind storm a couple years ago that knocked down all of our trees and one went across the powerline into the house. This was late at night. Like an _idiot_ I walked out the back door to get my flashlight from the truck and stepped on a downed 220 line. The raw end exploded into the wet grass like a cherry bomb. 440 would have been so much worse.

Glad you are okay, Scott!

Reply to
jjs

....................Bet you had to change your underwear after that (if you were wearing any)

Reply to
Tim Rogers
[...]

:) Which reminds me that it is distressing to know that millions of men are walking around with my name in their underwear. (Hint: my last name is...)

Reply to
jjs

Fruit of the Loom is a really strange last name.

Reply to
Lane Jennison

All I got was an angelfire logo.....no pic

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

...it must be a discriminating server....you're not worthy. ;-)

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian