OT Good luck to Florida RAMVAites...

Thanks Shaggie, Pensacola dodged these storms but NC is going to get a lot of rain out of them. Watch out for those twisters that are spawned from them ,too.

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

the EYE missed us by about 20 miles here!! Plus we were on the west side so we just had hurricane force winds here for awhile. Got a few trees down, lots of debris etc.. I live about a mile inland from the beach so if charley would have jogged a little bit more to the north there would have been type 2's in trees and lots of various vw parts scattered because The attic is filled to the brim that stuff! We talked to a few buddies down in Pt charlottle that were very lucky (no structural damage to house/ but everything else is f++ked) but said that they will never stay in the house when they predict another. It's pretty scary stuf!f! We still have not heard about some other poeple we know down there and if their house is still there. We did hear on the radio people talking about places that were blocks away from their home though that were leveled etc.. so it does not look good. We still have not seen much of the ground zero damage because we lost our cable (thankfully that and not the electricity) but from what we heard on the emergency radio when people were calling in it's gonna be along time to get straightend out down here. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

I haven't heard back from Kidd since we agreed it was best to unplug her computer last night, when the storm front reached Orlando. Best to leave computer disconnected until the lightning is over. Also decided to not call each other, there's a chance the lines are busy with 911 calls.

I don't like it.

Local (To O-town) news said one young girl died in a truck crash in Orange county, but so far there's been very few fatalities reported.

The wind speed drops when these head inland, and it did go from 150+mph to a mere 95mph breeze.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

................Apparently, cellphone & landline telephones are out in the Sanford area. I haven't been able to talk to my mom or siblings in that area since early in the evening last night.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Just received word from Kidd's mom, they are all fine. Lots of debris and crap, but power is there and no lives were lost in the area.

Phew.

Looks like I got drunk for nothihg.

:)

Not quite, I'm working on the stupid mazda engine.. replace pistons and cam... 7th or 8th time the engine is open.... ARGH

Some friend dropped by, to pick up more FREE VW parts... he paid with a big bottle of dark rum :)

A little over a quart of Cuba Libre later, I have the oilpan and head off...

--> back in the garage

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

...................So let me see if I've got this right. If I visit you and Kidd next May and bring a big bottle of dark rum, I can pretty much take what I want?

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

LOL

not quite so, buddy ;)

I'm happy to report that Kidd and her family are ok. Just talked with her.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

My thoughts go out to anyone caught up in this - I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like. Here in England everything grinds to a halt if we get more than an inch of rain, God knows how we'd cope with something on the scale of Charley

Regards,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lynn

yea I heard that a truck blew over on top of them or something.

My sister and brother in law which have the strongest home out of all our family down here (new building codes, proper shutters, fairly high ground, etc.) got scared and booked. where'd they go? To Orlando!

Might not have worked anyway, I could not get through and I couldn't get any of my voice mail off of my cellphone from worried customers that are up north watching the nightly news telling them that thier 5+ million dollar house might not be there on the beach anymore! This was a good thing, make them sweat it out a bit :)

I heard it's made it's way to NC now? Hope all ids well for you guys up the east coast! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

...................My wife spoke to my mother a short while ago while I was away from the house. She's with one of my brothers at his house in Deltona and said that there's no power or land line telephone service but that there is some cellphone service left in a few areas. She has not been able to contact other family members in Sanford and Orlando. There are a lot of large trees down throughout the region and the resulting damage has played havoc with power lines and the telephone lines as well. Apparently, many of the cellphone towers are damaged as well. She also said that there is still heavy rain this afternoon that is causing serious flooding in low lying areas like Sanford.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Tim, Kidd asked me to tell you that your loved ones are located in an area that didn't get too much damage. She thinks everyone should be ok. She's fine too. (OHHH SOOO FINE!!! ;) )

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

..............Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

So, do you want cash or rum for the p=E4ssinsarvet and other odd bits = I'm coming for on thursday? (the Trends's are for cash, I know)

Reply to
Olli Lammi

The junk is all yours for free.

I haven't found those pässinsarvia for you just yet, maybe someone grabbed the last pair. I still need to go to the other garage to see what's left there.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson