OT: My new toy :-) (tech)

OK for all you Race Heads !

Approx 106 BHP

Fastest I went on way home was 110mph and it was only just starting to pull ! (half way to red line )

Now for the question.

It has 4 cyl and 8 spark plugs !

Discuss ...

Rich

Reply to
tricky

The engine on my bike is rated at 40 hp. *sniffle*

Reply to
Shag

I do know you have a rover, but those are not four cyl and don't have 8 plugs, so that can't be it.

You mentioning the road speed vw engine speed and it having dual plugs makes me think that whatever you were flying low over there has a wankel engine (Of course, technically wankels don't have cylinders but rotors - sometimes people refer to them having cylinders).

NSU and Citroen used to make wankels but they are long gone and were single spark, I think. One of those Mazdas?

Reply to
Remco

My guess is an 1100 Kawasaki Zephyr. :-)

*cough*
Reply to
Shag

Not to take the piss, but only 106Bhp ?? Shure you got that right? That would be low for a modern bike, if this is, can't say I know the modell name..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

heck mine has 100hp, aprox 55ft/lbs of torque tops out at around 160 and is

12 years old...(i know it will do 130 *indicated* but will never know about 160 indicated or actual...no need...)
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i forgot to add: congrats on the new bike...they are ALOT of fun....i rode a bit today.....love it....be safe and watch *everyone*

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah. Watch *everyone* pull out in front of you as you try to go through an intersection. *GRRRRR!!!* IIIIIIIIIDIOTS!!!!!!!!!! Do they put something in Geritol that makes motorcycles invisible to the people who take it?

Reply to
Shag

106 hp and around 600 lbs. That is quick/fast no matter how you slice it. Unless maybe you weigh 800+ lbs. Then things change. You weigh 800+ lbs, Rich? :-) If you do then I meant to say "Do you weigh 800+ pounds, sir?" PJ, what do you have that would keep up?
Reply to
Shag

I didn't see Rich' other post giving it all away (he could have had some fun having us come up with crazy guesses like it having a wankel engine :)

Congratulations on your new toy, Rich!

Reply to
Remco

whati love is sitting at an intersection that leads to a shopping center during the peak traffic times.....usually walmart or the like....if you are the first vehicle in line(on your bike) then the cars will keep *running* the light because they figure you ain't gonna do anything about it, bein on a motorcycle....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The biggest I had upto now was a KZ750, about 44HP, I thought that was a lot of fun !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

The bike is a 93 model. so 12 yrs old .

Plenty fast enough for me at the moment !

I have been trying to think of a road I might actually get anywhere close to top speed without getting caught !

Not for a while yet anyhow.

I thought maybe I could find a track and try the 1/4 mile or something :-)

Rich

Shag wrote:

Reply to
tricky

I suppose I shouldn't assume that everyone reads old to new like me !

Rich

Shag wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Thanks for all your congrats n stuff. I love it and do know how to ride safe (at legal speeds anyway ) but that means I also know you cant get too many reminders about the idiots out there ! I was taught to not pas a car at a junction until you are looking at the driver in the eye and have some acknowledgment that he has seen you (you know you get that feeling when someone is going to try and get you ). Slow down and stop if necessary ! In a car you could get a dented wing (fender), on a bike you could get 'dead' .

I was thinking of getting some advanced or track lessons, to learn the correct way to ride above the ton. (so much for my layed back / chilled out lifestyle I was settling into ! midle age crisis I guess :-) )

Anyway, noone touched on my comment about the 8 spark plugs (remco excepted).

Why 8 ?

Is it worth the extra effort/expence ? ($100/50gbp to change the plugs !)

Does it make it go 'that' much faster, or is it a fuel economy / emissions thing ?

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I guess there is a 'correct' way to fall off too . I know you are supposed to slide rather than roll, tumble etc. Wonder if there is a way to practice that, sort of semi safely :~}

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Check out the timing of this email I got on a "bikers" alias at work... It was sent yesterday night when we were posting about motorcycles and being invisible on them... just got it this morning... BE CAREFUL OUT THERE... (This guy has only had this bike a few weeks... he had to order it and wait for weeks for it to come in...)

Subject: the FJR is off the road due to blue hair

Folks,

Today is a good day to live.

I was sitting at the intersection of Six Forks and Westbrook Drive. The FJR and I was in the left-turn-lane(which is the center lane, South direction) waiting for traffic from town to go past. Being alert, I noticed a car coming toward me in the center turn lane(heading North) and didn't slow down at the intersection. When the car was about halfway across the intersection I was certain it was not stopping. With cars oncoming on my left and cars passing from the rear on my right, no place to go. So, I did the only thing I could, abandon the FJR(I hope is forgives me). I jumped off the bike and tried to straddle the double yellow line. Apparently between the oncoming cars swerving and me staying as close to the line as I could, all that happened to me was a contusion to my right arm where I think I broke off the left mirror as the car hit the bike into me. BTW, the driver was cited.

This is the second time I've had a head on collision. However the last time was a drunk driver and it was a perfect 60 MPH head-on. This is more like a side swipe as she did swerve a little to _her_ left and I moved the bike to the _my_ left as I jumped off.

So, I can't say the ballistic nylon riding jacket saved me, but no body fluid leaks! OK, Ok, since you are _thinking_ about it, my shorts remained clean!

Chuck, sorry about that, but your test ride is on hold.

Have a great day,

Reply to
Shag

A46 Nottingham to Leicester, dual carriageway & have yet to see a camera on it. But there again, doing 55 in a bus is fast enough !

Reply to
Juper Wort

Nah, at work I use google newsgroups. Sometimes stuff get out of whack and I'll see new stuff before old (you posted a couple of minutes apart).

Have fun with that bike and be on the lookout for the *** -- I hope people in the UK give bikers more slack than they are given up here. One can easily become a hood ornament to an old lady's buick, if you're not careful.

Reply to
Remco

My poor bike only has ~175 hp and 99 lb/ft., and weighs almost 500 pounds. It has seen 165 or so at Road Atlanta, when I ran out of courage. It had plenty left.

Reply to
Tweak