One that got away

Went to an (non-auction) estate sale this weekend. Pulled up in front of a 1970 VW Bus. I looked it over before going inside. If there was any kind of ding or dent on the body, it must have been tiny because I didn't see it. Rust was nil. Green paint was weathered but I've seen much worse. Plus, none of the glass on any of the windows was cracked. Had both of its backseats as well as a hard plastic VW cover over the spare. The front seats had seen better days but were okay. Also had an air condition (under dash type). I noticed a couple of plugs lying in the engine compartment, so that might indicate a problem with the motor.

Asked the lady inside if it was for sale. She told me she had already sold it. When I asked her for how much, she told me she had traded it out for about $100 worth of labor. Ahhhh!

-- Christian '71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

You know, I feel the pain. I hope someone got it that will take care of it and not just sell it for scrap or worse. That is the way my luck runs, wrong place, wrong time.

Reply to
TerryB

Yeah, if he fixes it up and uses it, that's great. But, just in case he was hoping to flip it for a few dollars profit, I taped to the sterring wheel a note with my name and phone number. Maybe he'll call me instead of calling the scrap yard.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Sorry to hear you missed the boat on that one.

With "worse", I can think of several things that have been done:

I've seen one local shopping centre that converted an old van (it had those cool windows along the roof edge - not sure what that type is) into a gumball machine holder. Since then, there are several others but those are at least made out of poly so are fake. One home renovation TV show used a westy nose for decoration.

Reply to
Remco