OT: Yikes!....what happened to global warming?

The wind is howling out of the north at 25 mph and it's going down to 15 below zero tonight in the Binghamton, NY area. The wind chill factor is 30 below zero and will be 40 below zero by tommorow morning. I grew up in Florida and this is way too Canadian for me..........lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:42:56 -0500, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

cold as a well diggers ass here in va too...i don't mind the temps we have, but that wind is a bitch... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

In southern Iowa the weather has been very warm for January.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Same here in SE Nebraska.

Randy

RSMEINER

Visiting my mom in northern NH this week, warmest it has been is -33F static, winds are in the 25-30mph range. Brings me back to my youth:)

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

Well, it is Canadian weather yer getting. Can't you tell by the smell? FWIW it's unseasonably mild here in SE Minnesota. Come on over and race on the ice.

Reply to
jjs

"> Well, it is Canadian weather yer getting. Can't you tell by the smell?

Ya mean the fresh, clean smell of innocence..... without the taint of imperialistic evil, that often wafts North into Canada?

Reply to
DDB

Drove my motorcycle to work the past couple of nights. Was chilly driving home around midnight but a nice ride in here in North FL (sorry... had to rub it in). Will be visiting NH the last week of the month and into next month..... make it warm-up before I get there please!! Skiing is no fun when it's below zero out!!

Reply to
Mac

I can do one better from Central Florida (noticebly warmer than North FL. :) It's 65 F outside, but it feels like 70. Niiiiice. Last week it was around 74 - 78. I thought I died and went to tropical heaven. Have fun in the "tongue-stuck-to-cold-metal-like-nipple-rings" cold!!

Kidd "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Cowboy up, Tim. Spring training is just around the corner.

snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m-0-135.docsis.hbci.com:

It's so cold I can't smell a damn thing. School was called off today in most of eastern Massachusetts. Don't know why...it was only around

10 below this morning, and we haven't had but a dusting of snow this week.

Racing on the lake sounds like fun. Do you take your ACVW out?

Reply to
cloud8

The problem is that our planet is entering its normal cycle of the next Ice Age(tm). In a thousand years, it will be here in full force.

So, you say - global warming is good, then. Well, to a point it is. The planet and the atmosphere fight each other and we get really hot and really cold weather - sometimes within weeks of each other.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

..............They have car racing on the ice next month up at Lake George during their winter festival. Maybe this year, I can make it up there.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Unseasonably warm? Come race on the ICE? I think maybe John's up to sumthin', but I just can't quite put a finger on it!

- Busahaulic

by the smell?

on over and race on

up at Lake George

it up there.

Reply to
Busahaulic

Hey now. Ice racing is a blast! Used to run VWs, Corvairs and the old

3-cylinder Saabs on the ice.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Ah, yesl, the two-stroke triple Saab. We had one here that would start backwards sometimes. They were the winning ice racers until the Honda Civic was imported.

Reply to
jjs

I'm waiting for the ice to get thick enough myself.. then I'm taking my two 4WD subarus out there for a.. spin ;)

Jan

Max Welt> Hey now. Ice racing is a blast! Used to run VWs, Corvairs and the old

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Stud 'em all up and have fun!

It rained all last night, then turned to freezing rain. We have half an inch of glare ice covering everything. Everything!

Reply to
jjs

We had freezing rain here last week. This area can't handle it. It wasn't quite so thick that the powerlines broke, but so many trees came down across powerlines it was just as bad! Bussy started right up and thawed all that ice off with his own heater and defoster (and I don't even have the Espar reinstalled yet!)

The second biggest lake here in the Seattle area used to freeze over years ago. My uncle drove a model T across it. I think the last time it has gotten close in "modern" times was 1955! Global warming or not, the Seattle area has warmed up a bunch since the 20's! Maybe it's cyclical in addition to all the people and businesses (and motor vehicles.) This winter was looking kinda like the ones I remember from my youth until the winds shifted around from the southwest again and started pouring tropical rains on us. When that stops, the wind will probably shift around from the N / NE again and freeze us all over again (freezing in Seattle is anything under 40 degrees F just as anything over 75 F is sweltering!)

Jan Anderss>

then I'm taking my

have half an

Reply to
Busahaulic

nothing - it was in the upper 60s today and it was in the 70s frequently just over a week ago. I grew up in this area of SC and that's MUCH warmer than normal.

Reply to
mez

Global warming does not mean the earth necessarily gets warmer, just that the weather gets all jacked up.

Reply to
Pennywise