Radio in glove box

Hi all,

Yesterday i fitted a fiberglass glove box where i dremeled a radio in. It all was a tight and snug fit, however, the metal strap that keeps the original box in place is too short to secure the new one. I installed it temp with an electrical wire am not pleased with it.

Googled it but no adequate solution found... Anybody delt with this problem? Are there longer straps?

Cheers, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

I used plumber's tape. The thin gauge galvinized steel 'tape' which is used to hang pipe. About the width of electrical tape, but with holes in it.

Using the glove box; that brings back memories. Anyone else remember mounting their 8 Track in the Bug's glove box -- in order to prevent at least one of these from being stolen. Right, that goes back a few years.

Reply to
InTheNorthLand

I dunno what you mean by plumber's tape but you brought up a good idea. A sort of rubber band must do the trick.. Maybe an inner tube from a bike is sufficient. Thank you for your input!

Today it is not an 8 Track that needs some hiding but it's for the same reason :) Thanks, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

When i got my 64 t1 glove box was missing all together. when I got replacement abs plastic kind here is what i did to secure it. I got thin sheet of aluminum, took metal sheers and cut out a strap about 3/4 inch wide. drilled 3 holes one to go right above the box which get's secured by a screw. Made a 90 degree bend drilled another hole and riveted from the inside of the box. 3rd hole at the bottom gets secured by a nut which goes onto a tab with a stud which supposed be used for holding block off panel. There are 2 of those tabs one on the driver side and the other on the passenger side.

All and all this is very easy, fast and clean install. If you can cut a straight line with metal sheers it will look real nice.

If you are interested I can take some pictures, also riviting is not nesserly you can simply use a small bolt and nut.

Ant> > I used plumber's tape. The thin gauge galvinized steel 'tape' which

Reply to
anton

Go to:

two-thirds of the way down th page to, Plumbers Tape (galvanized)

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

Heck, that's what holds my in-dash radio (dead now these 15 years) in place. One day I will get around to reinstalling the original radio...

Reply to
Michael Cecil

metal strapping material available in most plumbing sections....it comes in a roll and you cut off what you need...

Joey Tribiani

"luftgekuhlten" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Ahh, now I get it. I was thinking more in the line of (adhesive) tape. DUH When I was thinking it all over this afternoon, I remembered that my windscreenwiperbottle is attached to my spare with a rubber band and 2 hooks. I just managed to check the lenght of it (right between a heavy rain and a blizzard) I think it will fit, if not, I will use the plumbing tape methode.

Thanks again for your time all, Roger

Reply to
bug '59