Re: 009 is approx 45 degrees out of whack

Sounds like you clipped the sensor to the wrong plug wire.

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Hey there.. Ive been reading some posts on the 009 but I cant find > anything that answers my question. Can you help? > > I recently rebuilt my 74' 1600 and put a 009 distributer on it. I > have it running pretty good right now .. real good in fact. I had set > the timing by ear but I just sprung for a timing light so I thought I > would double check it. When I hook it up (ensuring to attach the lead > to #1 cylinder) at idle its about 50 degrees (yes 50 degrees according > to the crank pulley) and it does still advance another 30 (or so) when > I rev it up to 3500. > > Oddly, when I stuck a pencil in #1 cyl, TDC is in fact at 0 degrees on > the crank pully (its a numbered pulley). > > > Whats going on here? Why is it out by approx 45 degrees? could I > have installed the distributer shaft incorrectly when I put the engine > together? If so, does it need to be fixed? > > HELP! > Kevin.
Reply to
TerryB

Ah, Jim - say a guy has a Bug with a Pertronix and the black wire is on "-" and the red is on "+". What's gonna happen?

Reply to
J Stafford

Good question! I have no experience with it so can't say:-(

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Black is (+)? Dam.. that has to be it cause I hooked black up to (-) and red to (+). Ill check it out tomorrow night... that has to the the problem.

thanks Speedy Jim ...

Reply to
Kevin

Since Jim can't tell ya,.....................If it'swired right, It still gives a proper reading,................if it's wired wrong,.................Well,................You get to buy a new ignition module..............It burns 'em up post haste.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

What do you mean, "wired right". I'm telling you, the red wire is on + and the black is on -, and it's got 2,000 miles on it that way. When's it going to burn up? Will it run better the other way?

Reply to
J Stafford

Following my own post - I was wondering how the hell the wires got put on wrong, then Molly said - "Do you suppose Bob did it?" Oh, man! Bob's the guy who was "checking out the wiring". Yeah, I'll bet he did it, thinking he was doing me a favor. So it's only been maybe 200 miles like that. Whew. Sucks to be stupid.

Reply to
J Stafford

Don't know about the pertronix but the compufire works fine either way, wise design move.

Reply to
Chris Phillips

I hate movies with VWs coz they end up trashing them coz they are cheap. Even Herbie sacrificed a few VWs at the time.

Reply to
BugThug

oups! wrong post!

Reply to
BugThug

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:52:43 +0300, "BugThug" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Reply to
travis

Thank you for that! At last! An authoritative response! Okay, in plain English: Pertronix - Red to (+), Black to (-). Right?

How about the Mallory? Anyone know?

Reply to
John Stafford

I was thinking this as well.

#4 cylinder, may have 30 - 32ish degrees of total advance normally, which would translate to 60 - 58ish degrees at the crank. It is not too much of a stretch to arrive at a "by ear" tuning number of 50 degrees for #4 at idle.

Although I never tried it, I suppose you could get the engine running with 40 degrees of advance at idle. One thing is for sure, the budget should include another set of pistons in the near future. :)

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Well .. I definately made sure that I was connected to #1 wire on the distributer. I will try it again hooking up the black wire to the (+) on the battery and the red wire up to the (-) on the battery ... sounds wrong but thats what speedy jim suggested so there must be something to it...

K. .. let you know tomorrow.

Reply to
Kevin

No! I was afraid this might get misunderstood. Blk on the strobe light goes to chassis (-). Red goes to 12V (+).

What I was saying is that the polarity of the COIL connections may matter. And I was assuming stock points/condensor distributor. Blk from the engine harness has to go to (+) term #15. Grn from the points has to go to (-) term #1.

If they are reversed, spark polarity is backwards which can affect the triggering of a strobe light.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

No it won;t run the other way at all . If it's wired right it runs,...................if not, then you'll buy another unit or replace with other form of ignitiion..............This is my experience once the young Step-son, decided to try and make my spare car run before I got home one day.

The discussion was related to odd readings on a timing light. That was why I didn't bother getting out my pertronix leaflet/instructions from the garage.....................basically I was trying to say that if it's running and wired properly (all being good) your readings should not be "off" any more than with a set of points on your dizzy.................not saying the pertronix are in any way a problem.

If you've got 2000 miles on it, then my bet is you got the module in it proper orientation.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Don't Do it Kevin!!!!!!!!

If the Pertronix is hooked up backward, it will likely FRY the Module, and is stated so in the instructions that come with the module.

Everything in my head tells me if you are on the wrong wire you'll be getting a measure of 90 degrees off the correct reading. PLUS the

28-32 degrees advance on top at the suggested higher RPM.

I guess it could come out to the 45 degree difference if figuring in the crankshaft rotation twice the Distributor, but but my logic is pretty screwed up right now, I'm heat exhausted a bit, and am not completely with it.

Hope this gets somebody's gears turning.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:45:24 -0500, John Stafford ran around screaming and yelling:

correct sir....

no experience with the Mallory here...sorry J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks. All is well here afterall.

Reply to
John Stafford

Note to group-check your timing light against another one for accuracy.I have seen timing lights that were off by a few degrees.I have no idea how the strobe lights late,but it has happened.

Freddy Badgett

Reply to
Freddy Badgett