Re: Rear suspension....HELP!

No springs are missing.

The part of the suspension you are talking about operates as an auxiliary torsion bar (the main torsion bars/springs are inside the big tubes, where the suspension arms pivot). When the car gets more weight and the rear sits lower, the bushings seat on the "supports", and the second auxiliary torsion bar gets activated. It is like having a stiffer spring when you put more weight on the vehicle.

Also when the rear of the car gets lifted (eg, when turning or when aerodynamicaly lifted during high speeds) this device limits the rear suspension from folding the wheels under and improves stability.

Photo 2 is not very clear, something seems retrofited, but if you don't have any interference problems this would not be something to worry about.

Please do not post pictures here, this is a text only newsgroup. Put them in a webite and post a link to them.

Bill, '67 Bug.

? "Manuel Macedo" ?????? ??? ?????? news:C2B51AC7.48D% snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt...

Hi, > I'm halfway in restoring a '70 1300L bug, and while disassembling I found > myself with a question: should the rear suspension have a spring there? > (photo1) it looks like it, but I'm not sure. > On the left rear wheel the same support that i found wierd not having a > spring has a twin right next to it (photo2), looks like someone made some > repairing and welded a support right next to the original one (who seems > to > have been lowered for some reason. Can I trust this repair? Thanks. > > Manuel Macedo > Portugal > >
Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Thanks! Sorry about the pics :)

Reply to