Rear diagonal arm -- fasterner question

Thanks for the info Scott. Someone is messing with my suspension. I will remove everything and put it back again on the right place with new bushing. May be then I can go to 150 Km/h with no handling problems...

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Btw, dragenwagen has them washers on the outside as well:

All the other books mention to take note of placement of the washers. Not sure if that means it is variable or not from car to car..

Here's a urethane replacement bushing that I'll use when the frame is done:

Aircooled also has bolt replacements that you can secure by means of a wire instead of peening. I might replace mine for the ease of mind:
Ok, I got mine out without too much grief (only tried one side - the others should go similarly). It is indeed a split bushing - the metal piece is also split (so not quite like the replacement).

Not sure if you have this type of tool where you live, but I used a painter's tool to pry the bushing out. This tool has a steel half circle thich blade, used to clean paint rollers - . It fits almost perfectly around the bushing. It came out whole and got it back in with some oil on the rubber/metal. It might be easier to just cut the rubber shoulder off and grab the metal with locking pliers.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Remco, thanks for all information. The dragenwagen chassis looks great!!! Why do you think that the replacement bushing is not a split one? I will find a way to remove the old ones. If it is a split bushing, it mustn't be hard to pull it out. Thanks one again. Do you have a photo of you bushing to see how it looks?

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Yeah, his chassis does look great, doesn't it? I think he was the one caught by that bad storm we've had. Hope all his life are back to normal.

It appears as though the replacement bushings' sleeve is just one part. Here are some pix of when I first got it out:

didn't come out like this but pried the rubber part to the pointwhere I was just able to pop it out. I pushed the sleeve back to whereit belongs for this picture. It was in one piece until I tried to putin back in. When I tore it back out it finally ripped. And this is the kind of tool I was talking about:
works well, but it might be faster to just cut the shoulder off andpull the sleeve out with some vice grips. You're not looking to savethe rubber, right?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

"Here's a urethane replacement bushing that I'll use when the frame is done: "

As a side note, I replaced all of my rear bushings with the urethane type. I am happy with the fit of the inner bushings described here, but I would recommend getting the rubber bushings for the spring plate. My spring plate bushings seemed to fit okay initially, but I noticed recently that they are already wearing. There is a visible gap at the bottom of the bushing carrier on both sides, and the wheels are both tipped in when viewed from above. I've only had them in there for about a year and a half and I only drive the car during the cooler months, so I'm a bit dissapointed in the way they held up.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks again. The diagonal arm bushings are completelly worn. I will receive them on the end of the month. Until then I will live with this set up. I looked with more attention and I found the following. Right side two washers on the screw side and one on the oposit side (frame) Left only one whasher on the screw side. I will reset evething on rear suspension when I receive the new bushings. I think I will solve my camber and handeling issues.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Thanks for that tip, Chris. Weird how that one wore so quickly..

I'll replace the spring plate bushings with rubber, based on your experience.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I have rubber bushings on my spring plate and they are ok. My problem is the bushing on the diagonal arm. If I replace them by urethane bushing I can go to get them right now, because the shop has them. The rubber ones I had to order. I inicialy thought on using the urethane on the diagonal arm. I would like to know your opinnion on that.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Yeah, very confusing.

Several manuals I've read since we started pondering this one state to "take note of the number and placement" of these washers. So the implication certainly is that it is variable from car to car - why else record where these things go? Two manuals show it two washers on the outer side, one (haynes) shows one on each side. It must be variable.

Perhaps ask the question on theSamba.com? There must be someone out there that knows for sure.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Remco,

Today a saw a part of chassis with IRS suspension and it had the washers on opposite sides. This is very confusing...

Joao

Joao Eliseu

To everybody with IRS suspension!!!

Could you please go to your beetle and check the position of the washer on the diagonal arm to make a record?

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Don't forget to add the year of your beetle!!!

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Remco & Joao

From my 1971 Volkswagenwerk Akliengesellschaft, Wolfsburg Workshop Manual

On Type 1 vehicles with double-joint axles the only adjustment required is the setting of the wheel toe angle. The washers on the diagonal arm must always be located on the outside.

On Type 3 vehicles the diagonal arm can be moved laterally by moving the washers. This adjusts the distance between the wheel shaft flanges.

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Remco,

Looks like you found another set up on theSamba.com :-)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Yeah, huh? He has a similar setup as you (one side has two washers, the other just one) No one appears to have a difinitive answer on it, but the manual do imply that these washers vary in placement and quantity. Weird because one would imagine that this is an exact science.

I think the right thing to do is to put it back same way you found it. Do you have a bentley manual? I could scan in the portions of interest (they include a small section on alignment) and email it to you.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I don't have the bentley. I'm waiting for ADSL connection to internet and I will have a new email. I will let you know my new email as soon I got it. I hope that I will receive the modem today.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

I will put the two washers outside. I read the Haynes again and picture doesn?t show the correct position for the washers. On page 156 the Haynes for 1302 and 1302S says: "The inner end of the diagonal arm pivots on socket head bolt. Once this is undone the arm may taken out. Note the position of the spacer washers which ARE BOTH located on the outside of the pivot bush"

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Sounds like a good plan. It would be interesting to see if the handling/alignment improves for you.

Reply to
Remco

On my 74 super both spacers were located on the outside edge. I seem to recall one washer having a slightly larger OD than the other.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I will let you know. I don't expect a lot of improvement. I noted a huge improvement when I screw the bolt. It was about 5mm out as I shoe you on the photo.

Joao

Joao Eliseu