Red light coming on at high RPMs

Was driving home today in the Bug (12 volt, 1600 dp) when the gennie light flickered on a few times at high speed (72mph). It wen toff as soon as I backed off on the gas. When I got home I checked the gennie belt and it is fine, good tension and it is solid, not frayed or anything. The wires to the idiot light are intact and connected so what gives? Why would the light kick on at high rpm?? Its a brand new generator btw, less than 20k miles on it.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Usually poor contact between brushes and commutator segments. Might polish the segments with something like 600 wet/dry paper. Pull on the brush leads just to confirm there is good spring tension.

May be worth measuring the charging voltage right at the battery posts. I guess I wouldn't rule out regulator failure.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
John Cassara