Removable rear apron

I have Been watching the whole thing with rear apron fixes and I like, and would like to try, the removable apron theory.

I will not be in any hurry to do this, so I will start the Information gathering now ,and see how it goes.

My only concern is the engine compartment seal that goes around the engine and is integral with the rear apron. Is there a good enough seal to keep the cooling at it's best when you make the apron removable or is it just "ok"?

The reason for the inquiry is the TEXAS heat and I know I am not the highest temp climate, but the heat has always concerned me on the Sealing of the engine bay.

Is there some sort of trick to the seal actually *sealing* well?

Lemme know

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:08:38 GMT, MUADIB® ran around screaming and yelling:

Well Scott, i dont' know if it is "proper" but when i modify mine(soon) i plan to leave the seal intact, and will just remove it from its "groove" to remove the apron....i may have to "modify" the folded edges of the "groove" to make it easy to remove the seal from that portion, yet keep it in place during operation...i will let you know what, if any, mods I make when i do this, if you are interested... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The seal gets cut at he same spot where the apron does. Once the removable apron is fitted in place, the gap is virtually non-existant.

Jan

"MUADIB®" wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

different seal. Th eseal in question is teh one between engine and body, not engine LID and body. Personally, to give the engine just a tiny bit more air, I could even leave the LID seal off completely.. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:51:15 +0300, Jan Andersson ran around screaming and yelling:

yeah...that is why i am cosidering making some "mods" to the groove...so the seal can be removed easily(at least easier) when the apron is removed...plus having the seal in your hands would give you the opportunity to give it a check everytime you remove the engine, and replace when needed.... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hiya Jan,

Hmmmm..........maybe I should start reading instead of assuming.

Well as Emily Littela on Saturday Night used to say, "Never mind!"

Reply to
Bookwus1

I saw a picture or two of the rear apron mod that you did , Jan.( very nice mod I think) It just seemed a bit too much of the Hot Rodder in you took over when it came to the seal. That's why i was asking about a way to seal it better. Chris actually has a good idea, as long as the channel is not damaged to death on the main body. I have replaced the seals before in a couple or three beetles and none were too terrible bad except the one I drive most. It was definitely the millionth time it was changed and the person that did it before me hammered the channel shut on the rubber...............All the way around the engine . I do think the gap made would be negligible for the most part, I was just hpoing to find a way that didn't compromise that seal at all.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

You saw teh black convertible or the green sedan? The black thing got a fully removable rear end, nothing is left around the engine. The sealing on that one is poor and unfinished.

The green bug was done better, original seal just cut in 2 places, where the apron is. No gaps. From inside the engine bay, you can't tell the green bug has a removable apron. Same from the outside.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I believe it was asedan that you posted, Not the black car.

The one I remember was in process when posted or pictures were in process.....................been a couple of years.

Very nice work I might add.................I like how you made the fit.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

That really was a good question. But the answer is kinda tricky here.

Some years of Beetles,............................I am not completely sure which year or *if * it actually changed anytime factory...................Had a Seal that went both on top and on bottom. It was two seals in one kinda. An upper lip and a lower lip of the seal, and the tin went between them.

I have seen that type with my own eyes....................I have even seen some cutaway pictures of such a seal in many older VW books/manuals.

Here's one from an old '71 Chilton manual for VW's from '49 to '71...................

Like I said,...........not sure if this was the norm all years, or if it changed somewhere down the line.

All the replacements I have seen in a long time are *one lip* type.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Oh yea, this one:

looks like I never updated the article.. OOPS! Will take a few fresh photos later and finish it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

At least my local source can get them easily. That's what belongs in your 64, I'm pretty sure.

Jan

Reply to
Jan