Reparing Steering Wheel

On my 70 KG, me steering wheel has some cracks I'd like to repair. I believe there's some 'bondo-like' repair filler for that purpose. Where can I find it?

Also, is there procedure for the repair? I know VWT had something in one of there issues. I'm not sure if I still have it.

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

POR sells as a kit as does some other company, Eastwood I think. Though, they never take over the long run, With day to day use the cracks reemerge. You are better off buying on of the new repro wheels that KGP&R sells for like $140. They will last forever.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I used JB Weld last week. Put it on let it dry and sand. Primed and then painted with a flat black paint. Looks like new.

Reply to
Hippopotabus

I'm currently restoring the original wheel from my Mini. I have no idea how a VW wheel is made up (and no, I'm not going to cut a chunk out of my '66s wheel just to check!), but the Mini wheel is a metal frame surrounded in what looks like Bakelight, then painted.

I've sanded down the rough surface and filed out and filled the cracks with Araldite (a compound glue). It seems to have worked fine...

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I used to live in the California desert and now live in Wyoming. I have used PC-7 on two steering wheels for a 59 bug (desert) and a 67 bus (Wyo). I had the bug for two years with no cracking. I have had the bus for 4 years with no cracking. I bought the PC-7 at a Do-It-Best hardware store.

Reply to
Robert