Reproduction dash knobs

I was asked by someone here once to make copies of vintage dash knobs for their lights etc. If any of you need something like that made I might be able to help. I make model airplane parts for a living and do a lot of casting in urethane resins.

Mike

Reply to
Mike West

Very cool -- soft or hard molds?

At my previous job, I've dealt with a shop locally that could 'machine' our prototype parts from our CAD by shooting lasers into this substance. Whatever the lasers were concentrated on would become hard. They then use that machined part to create a soft mold for various plastics, usually for prototyping purposes so you might be able to get

10 parts molded out of one mold before it gets sloppy. It was very impressive to watch.

Is that what you do?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I am familiar with that process but I am not that sophisticated. I am a one man shop and make molds from RTV scilicone and can get up to 50 parts from one mold. You would have to drill and tap them for use.

Mike

Reply to
Mike West