shimmy/shaking?

Hi all, I just have a quick question. I?ve got a 73 super beetle that just unexpectidly shimmy/shakes uncontrollably ... originally it was only doing this when you got up past 45mph but the other day it started doing this when I was only going 30mph. I can?t tell which wheel or whatever is doing this, but the steering whell shakes uncontrollably and I have to slow down into 2nd to get it to stop, then I can start speeding back up. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Sarah

Reply to
gazing_iscariot

Ben Boyle

It's the famous Super Beetle Shimmy, very common problem. Use Google Search on this newsgroup to find out what has been discussed before, and go look also at

if they have covered it. That's a good resource.

Personally, I haven't run into this problem and can't give you guaranteed, definite answers on it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Almost everyone out there with a super beetle has to deal with that sooner or later. When I had the problem with my old 1303 (73 too) I followed the advice on Top line's website. Most of the time you have to replace various parts, is yours a first half 73 or second half? ball joints on earlier models are a PITA. Check this link alnd let us know.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

"I've got a 73 super beetle that just unexpectidly shimmy/shakes uncontrollably ... originally it was only doing this when you got up past 45mph but the other day it started doing this when I was only going 30mph."

My 74 super was doing that and I rebuilt the entire front end. Drives like a new car now. I'd recommend that you replace the ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, steering dampener, strut inserts, and idler arm bushing. Inspect the steering gearbox and the universal shaft. I'd also recommend the strut tower brace that topline parts sells. You can get everything you need from them

Chris

Reply to
Hal