Shorten Swing Arm or something

I really like the way the '58 performs with the slightly larger tires (on BRMs) but the rears stick out just enough that I cannot fit stock skirts on it. Any ideas on what I can do to fit the wheels/tires just a tiny bit farther in?

Reply to
John J

nothing short of replacing the wheels with a different offset. I think you already have the shortest axles they made? Not sure. They made them in 2 or 3 different lenghts, but I'm also not 100% sure how the track width changed.

You could always buy wider fenders? I widened mine.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Some time ago I asked what might be wrong with aftermarket steel fenders and was told that finding two that match is the hard part. IOW, they can be formed differently - the makers don't even try to match them.

True?

Reply to
John J

I have heard the same recently.

I have "old stock" fiberglass fenders in the front, and I widened the rear original fenders myself. Fits just right :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

How did you widen them? Did you add to the place that joins the body, or add a strip elsewhere?

Reply to
John J

I added a strip just before the mounting lip, maybe half an inch from where the lip begins. So it uses the stock mounting lip and the bend, for rigidity. Taillights now sit further out along with the rest of the fender. I added 3.5 - 4cm ( 1.5 inches). It't not too wild, doesn't stick out unless you have another bug parked next to it with stock width fenders. I run 6" wheels with 195/65 tires all around (for now). I wanted them to hug somewhat close to the fender edge, so the fenderwell gets filled nicely.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Leaves room for bigger tires or more offset later, but not too much.

The strip was shaped to a ____------____ profile to make it stiffer, added from the underside of the fender once the fender was cut, so that the original fender metal would sit on top of the lower ledges "pictured" above. Then welded on through a series of little holes, imitating spot welds. Then a careful cleanup to remove any and all dark spots from welding, and then seams leaded (body solder) over. Followed by a thin layer of bondo :) The underside was painted and coated with stone chip protection.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Oh yea, those are skinnier studded winter tires on it in the picture :) Same model and size rims however.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Ah! That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for that, Jan.

Unfortunately, I have ZERO skill in that area.

I'll keep on keeping on - stupid as I am.

John J

Hey, never too late to learn something new!

get a mig welder and some scrap metal (say, a 73 super beetle for example) and go nuts! ;)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Uh, my other Bug is a pristine '72. It ain't scrap. It would be if I tried to learn welding on it!

Reply to
John J