Something scary happened today

ROTFLOL!!

"Not that there's anything wrong with that.."

Reply to
remco

I wasn't actually trying to bury the needle (110 MPH) on her. I was just trying to keep up with Chicago traffic. On the tollways sometimes it does get up to 90! And the speed limit in the Chicago area is 55. Considering she's got 203,000 miles on her, she's still doing good. I can't think of many American cars that haven't gone to rust by that kind of mileage around here, what with all the salt on the roads in the winter. I didn't even have the pedal all the way to the floor. I remember the ridiculous 87 MPH speedos back in the 80's. Didn't the VW speedo go to at least 100?

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr
*wonders idly how someone gets to be Timmy's age before finally learning that you need more oil capacity on a VW when driving it foolishly* CB performance makes a nice sump, but it uses an oversized sump plate with a special $2 gasket, and has no drain. On the plus side it loses less ground clearance than the Berg sumps of the same capacity. My solution is I'm looking into getting a couple of the the CB plates spotfaced and tapped for a drain plug. If ground clearance isn't an issue...just go with a berg sump. Very nice piece fairly priced. I leaned towards the CB sumps because of the afore mentioned sump plate, and the clearance. I have two here and will likely be getting a third soon. The way I looked at it..it saved me buying one of the billet sump plates I have been wanting in addition to a sump....the drain thing is my only real complaint, and I'll fix that. ;^)
Reply to
Gary Tateosian

My 79 Corolla 1200 could only get up in the 70's when she was new (57 hp,

2100 lbs.) I had a cop accuse me of doing 81 in it once, fully loaded. It couldn't do 81 going downhill in a tailwind, although I did have some problems keeping her on the road in eastern Tennessee. The brakes were getting a bit soft . . . . And she was down to almost 20 MPH going up same hill going home. At least a Beetle could do better than that. . . .

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

In Atlanta we regularly give each other the finger and stare at one another at the lights that catch us right after we do it.

business...

Reply to
Funkie

Tell us something impressive. My 73 super beetle did 90mph on flat road and about 95 on a downhill.

Reply to
Funkie

Another one of us.

N5HSR/9 here.

The best place to get our stuff in a restaruant is the Millrose over in S Barrington.

73 es CUL

I hate, by the way, how Illinois license plates since 1984 say HAM RADIO instead of AMATEUR RADIO, like they did from 1956-1983. The new (2002) plates also say HAM RADIO on them.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

accelerated

yep....very NORMAL...you have very little oil in the vw sump while running....during hard cornering the oil will litterally run out to the rocker boxes through the pushrod tubes leaving no oil for the pickup....the aftermarket sumps do indeed fix this problem...learned this years ago...if you do happen to get an aftermarket sump have the pickup tube brazed or welded on instead of the cheesy clamp that comes with it...

not much really....i just enjoy my role here...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On the tollways, the left lane is the Rock and Roll lane. It's usually doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 unless a cop is around . . . The right lane can be doing anywhere from 75 to around 60, depending on where you are at. Some of the interchanges clog up. And don't go anywhere near Woodfield Mall after Thanksgiving if you want to get anywhere before New Year's.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

that is when you should take the opportunity to get out of the car and ask the person to repeat it(as if you didn't hear it)...it is amazing how quickly someone will flip you off for no reason...it is even more amazing to see how fast they will run a redlight to get away from you when you step out from your vehicle....got out at a light today to ask someone to stop tailgating me, i can't go faster than the person in front of me...he thought it would be a good idea to not do so anymore...plus i told him i have a "twitchy" brake pedal and my brakelights don't workwell.... he was very well behaved till i turned off....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

WB2KPH/3 Yeah, HAM radio. You gotta wonder who asked to have that changed. I've never bothered with call letter plates. I had a friend tell me that he eliminated 90 per cent of his TVI complaints by getting rid of his call letter plates.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Now if you'd taken me up on the T4 that used to be in Bussy... I used to have trouble with losing oil pressure in hard cornering. Ultimately it turned out that the perfeshunul enjun bildur who put *that* engine together put the wrong kind of gasket where the sump pickup tube enters the case (should be an o-ring - they used a flattened ring) so whenever the oil level was below that point, it would suck air and lose prime. The solution was to pull the oil pressure idiot light sender out and using a turkey baster, squirt oil into the pump from above and it would start sucking again!

The NEXT engine I built myself and it got a few added details such as the windage tray from a 914 motor and I welded baffles onto the pickup to limit sloshing from side-to-side. I can post those pics if you wish to see them. The windage tray is there to limit the "wind" that is created by the spinning crankshaft from "parting the sea" of oil in the sump. The Baffles I added on were made of 1/8" X about 3/4" steel flatbar with holes drilled all along the length. I welded one to the front edge and one to the back edge, effectively creating a restriction to sloshing and keeping the oil level more level.

The add-on sumps effectively do the same thing in that they restrict the area where the oil that they contain can slosh - and since the top surface of the oil is way up above that small diameter hole where they bolt on, there is *always* going to be oil available (except when you invert for tunnel passing!)

-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

I had a 68...250 Turbothrift engine, good old engine. COuldn't kill that thing

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

I'll take ya on in my '58 VW (Very Old Lowered Kinky Sedan With A Great Engine Noise).

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Snip.

The 250 was known variously as the old Iron Duke engine or the Stovebolt 6, depending on who was talking. Basically it was the 6 that powered Chevies for decades. It used to be a 235 in the early 60's and it had been bored/stroked out through several iterations. I think it was a 210 or 216 ci engine back when my Dad bought his '52.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

In Illinois it used to be illegal to use a headpiece to listen to anything in your car, unless you had an AMATEUR RADIO plate on your vehicle. Now that you are supposed to use handsfree devices on cellphones, I guess that provision of the Illinois Revised Statutes has been repealed.

The reason they changed it is Little Jim Edgar wanted to cut down the special requirements to one slug on Amateur Radio plates. Amateur would have been too tall to place next to the call sign, so they cut it down to ham. The old plates had 2 slugs in the die. AMATEUR on the left and RADIO on the right.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Funny you should mention this! Whenever I drive like a maniac on the coast highway and pass people going 90mph in a 45 zone - y'know, really stoopid stuff - whenever I do that it seems that 4-5 hours later, somewhere waaayyy up the road, we end up camped next to each other at the State Park campground! Sometimes they say they are really impressed with how the bus goes, but mostly they avoid eye contact and such and it gets very uncomfortable! At least as I get older it doesn't seem to happen quite so much!-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

with age comes wisdom...and tolerance....and a bit of laziness...LOL (its happening here too...im not *near* the asshole i used to be....believe it or not...)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i guess you guys sure do talk alot on this damn forum, i read half of it and gave up lol good stories though, great pass timer

Reply to
Nick via CarKB.com

Reply to
Ben Boyle