SPARKLING OIL update!

well jsut finished reassembly and started the bad boy up and it runs like a top now. Found a real nice head that was practically brand new in a pile of parts and after cleaning, i can now say that i can hopefully drive to school unless something else goes wrong ;-) Still need to feild test it on the highway, make sure valves set right and such, but i think after a few close knit oil changes, i should be able to get much of the affending brass (turns out thats what is was, thanks Bob, you da man ;-) out of the oil and get a few more miles out of the engine. I msut say although it was a pain, having emergancy head replacement under my belt now makes it alittle worth it.

Xyclone

Reply to
Xyclone

Dude,.............you do realize that the scroll gear for the distributor is getting eaten don't you? ( this is just from reading the post Mr. Hoover left in regards to your original.

As He stated , there's a much more important issue at hand and something else is definitely eating up slowly.

Since your already re-assembled, did you pull the distributor and check out the reason the scroll gear is being eaten?.................or did you just put a different head on it and yer dunn?

I am only curious as to what exactly you fixed and the full scope of your findings. Is it fixed or is it "fixed"???

just curious.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Well "Dude" I'm sorry, but I meant to say bronze when I was typing I guess I just slipped, but I did state that it was a valve guide that I'm pretty sure was the culprit so that should have cleared that up. Although I couldn't possibly have as much "experiance" as you, you know I do know some of my sh*t and your underlying tone of me not knowing what I'm doing and just going for a quick fix realy irratates me. My engine is fixed to the best of my knowledge and runs damn good now, so if the gear was being eatten I would think I would still be having the same problem, but what do I know.

And heres the whole story so maybe you can get your head around it:

Engine started making a strange noise, a tinking and loosing power at higher speeds (along with backfiring from the left side). So I went and checked things over (including valves) and found a small pile of BRONZE shavings under the 3rd cylinder exhaust valve, and the pile was only in the valve cover, so the only way it could get there would be through coming from above as far as I can see it. This also made it so the only way any of the material would get into the oil was by oil washing it over the seal into the pushrod tubes. So from this deduction (this was before Bob's very informative reply) I couldnt see how it could be anything but that valve. So to sort of test this after finding the pile was I changed the head and now the problem is gone. So I guess if anything else turns up I will reasses the situation, but since I used my own knowledge and logic as quickly as i could (cause I need to get back to school) I guess that would be going along with what Bob has also said in his sermineabout you are the mechanic and you can't just take everything others say, from newsgroups ect. for the honest to god best way to do it or that what they say is what is wrong is actualy wrong.

Xyclone

Reply to
Xyclone

Underlying tone? Did I miss something?

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

(snip)

I think you took maudibs post wrong. I don't think he was implying anything. your small typing error (brass/bronze) threw him off a little and he was just curious as to what was really happening..

Reply to
Gregg H

well if he didnt im sorry, its just im rushing around, and trying to get this thing done and trying to make sure everything is ship shape and his thing about fixed or "fixed" just kinda irratated me, cause im already strung out already, so im sorry if I took it wrong way but I'm really stressed right now

Reply to
Xyclone

Happens to all of us. That's why I never made this a full time job, despite public demand.. lol.. now I can choose to walk away and continue next week if I feel like it.. I still do work for others, but only when I truly have time for it. Helps too when I'm stuck with my own projects, to be able to do simple rebuilds and stuff for others (who pay the bills, lol)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The best thing for me to do when things get like that is to take five minutes and think about it for awhile. make a list and break it down into short lists. you can actually save more time by taking a short break and de-stressing. good luck

Reply to
Gregg H

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:39:35 -0400, "Xyclone" scribbled this interesting note:

Scott was actually trying to help. He sometimes does have an attitude, but he didn't really on this occasion. (BTW, he does have more than half a clue when it comes to cars. Or some airplanes.)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

And even asked in "just curious" fashion.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I am sorry if I came accross poorly, as I tried quite abit to make thinsg a bit nicer sounding.

I did read the post thoroughly, and it made no mention ( the one I replied to this time) as to what exactly was wrong or fixed. It just said Brass....................No mention of valve guides at all. Sorry for sounding harsh.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I just realized after re-reading what I posted, that what You may have seen that made you feel as though I was being condescending was the line just before the one that says...............

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Yeah, the one that says "artificial intelligence............."

That could lead one to believe I'm talking down to them................It's on all my recent posts.

Oops.............I'll have ot move that to the end of the sig. LOL Sorry again.