Super Squish Pistons

What exactly is different about these? I'm not questioning WHEATHER they work, just curious how. Any good reading on this subject?

Thanks!

BM

Reply to
BratscheMan

The main difference comes from the distance between the top of the piston and the pin. Then I supposed that they are forged. What's your project?

Nicolas

"BratscheMan" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

Nicolas Gobet

No solid plans yet. Just soaking up info.

BM

Reply to
BratscheMan

The detailed design is a trade secret, and anyone who bought a set had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, promising not to let it out in the open. No pics, no details. Please honor the wished of the seller and manufacturer.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

OK. I had no idea.... Never mind.

BM

Reply to
BratscheMan

Can't be much of a secret if if Aircooled has it on the net. If it's patented then they don't have to worry. If someone wanted to steal their secret all they have to do is buy a set.

Reply to
Wes Pearson

The details are not on their site as far as I know, unless you have a link to prove me wrong? Let's see pics, off the aircooled.net site, that show the top of the piston :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You must be kidd...ing LOL

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

As far as I've seen, all pictures are of the bottom of the pistons. On AC.net, the only thing described is wrist pin height. On the "super long stroke" ones, the wrist pin hole is beneath the oil ring. Pretty cool. Maybe the pistons are made of a squishy gel...

BM

Reply to
BratscheMan

I can't believe you guys have never heard of squish band technology. It's describe in The Internal Combustion Engine by Sir Harry Ricardo and this book has been around for over 80 years.

How it works it that part of the piston is very close to the cylinder head effectively squishing part of the mixture so thin that it cannot fire and therefore not detonate. The remaining mixture is crammed into a small pocket that the flame bubble can move across quickly and evenly. I imagine that these are of the "pocket type" with a high ridge around the outside edge of the piston crown and a bath tub shaped pocket in the center. These take some setting up to get the clearances right so that that they don't hit but are still close enough to work. In a perfect world, piston to head clearance would only be a .5mm or so hot. In a small racing 2 stroke engine the piston to head clearance is about half that.

The problem with having combustion chamber pocket in the piston rather than the cylinder head is that the pistons run hotter. I know this has been successfully done on old American V8 race cars but I don't know if an aircooled VW engine would do OK with them...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

I bet they have come up with a way to finally install piston return springs. :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

He he