Tail pipe lenghts

Hi, Could anyone tell me how far the tail pipes should stick out of the muffler? 1973 Bug 1600. Thanks, Pete

Shortened from Bentley:

1) Measure the lenght of your new tail pipes.

2) Insert the left tail pipe. Insert a steel tape measure inside the=20 tail pipe so that the 0-end contacts the preheating pipe inside the muffler.

3) Adjust the tail pipe so that the outer edge aligns with the graduation of the lenght of the tail pipe minus 1/4 inches. (Example: If the tail pipes are 10 inches long, the outer edge will have to be in 9 3/4 inch mark in the measure.)

4) Put the right pipe in so that it is out the same amount from the muffler as the left one is after the adjustment.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Whew! Thanks to Olli for condensing the Bentley instructions so well!

I would add that it is important that the little preheat tube is roughly centered in the muffler opening. So many aftermarket mufflers are very poorly assembled and the tube is offset to one side so that it won't create the necessary "venturi" effect to make the preheat work.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

and some are so bad (like mine) the tube from the preheat justs opens into the muffler... no tube at all.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski