Cooling Tin Purchasing List Derby

Okay, experts. The 71 Wonderbus is missing various bits of cooling parts. I, Rocket J Squirrel, despite having only the most rudimentary automotive skills, will perform the incredible feat of removing the engine and putting on the missing parts. This while using only my tiny brain, the help of Inge the sexy lab assistant, and every darn manual I can get my hand on,

Since this is a family car, my hope is to pull the engine only when all the necessary parts are on hand. This will avoid the messy and embarrassing need to ask the neighbors if I can borrow their car to take the kids to school while I wait for the left-hand veeblefetzer cover to come from VWPartz 'R' Us.com.

I have posted the best pictures I could take of my engine at

The goal is build a list of part numbers and vendors, based on best guesses about what parts I need. This is a derby, a contest! He who creates the most comprehensive list gets Something Really Good (if I can think of something Really Good to send).

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

PS -- I wonder if the Complete Cooling Kit for 1971 buses offered by bustedbus.com would be helpful -- do I have the " . . . 1600cc engine WITH an offset oil cooler"?

Or some other shroud assembly?

See the top pic at

for a foto of my engine. It's a new 1776.

See

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Cannot determine shroud type from the pictures there. Reach in behind the shroud from teh left side(top), and taker a feel. If there's a BIG bulky structure on the backside, that's your cooler doghouse. If the backside appears smooth and flat on teh left side, it's the older type shroud with no offset cooler.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Ilambert

Yeah Jan,............There is a picture there showing the outlet of the doghouse style shroud...................the little piece that can be seen from the lower side of the engine, just forward ( forward is forward ) of the #3 cylinder...............kind of a chute.

It's most definitely a doghouse cooler and shroud..............now what's under it is possibly another story altogether.

Hope this one is of some use.

If you start looking around online there is a site somewhere that someone has put together scans of the engine cooling tin and all it's glory.........................I win.

LOL:

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

You mean, like, after the entire engine is in pieces and I realize that none of the parts will fit and that the Wonderbus has become a basket case and I give up in despair and fall into a deep, dark, depression and poor Inge has to find a new job? The poor girl deserves to be well taken care of in such an event.

Oh wait -- do you mean as a prize for coming up with the right parts for my cooler tin project? Ah - I had not considered loaning her out for that purpose. Because it is a despicable idea! Inge is innocent, and recklessly fertile, and must be protected from those who would use her for crude purposes of self-gratification.

The very thought causes me to shudder with disgust. I must fine Inge to comfort me. Inge? Come here, my dear.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

..................We're getting sick and tired of hearing about your sex life.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Which picture shows this? I'd like to look.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Don't you mean "lack of" ?

Kidd A. "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

It's the next to last picture on that page............It's as though you were laying on your back, feet to the tailpipes, and head toward the front of the car , no lower tin to help with the cooling ,...............I can see the mounting holes for that piece that's missing, and in the picture there's a "chute" just above the upper tin................kinda like a "D" laying on it's back ( this in relationship to the picture )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Got it. And there seems to be some kinda tubing or wire thingy coming out from behind it. Like a backwards "J". I wonder what that is? I'd look but the family's Useless Teenage Boy has the bus out right now, going to Best Buy to buy a CD of some music that sounds mostly like a steel mill in full operation.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Seek help, Mike. I'm worried about you. You are turning into one of.. uhh.. us. Scary.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hahahahahaha

you are just envious ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

"Hi, my name is Rocky and I post to RAMVA."

"Hi, Rocky." . . .

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Are you suggesting that you don't build systems with uncommon fidelity in the hopes of having folk play Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" on them?

Reply to
mez

13th Floor Elevator, man.