third brake light questions

Hey all. I have been reading through some previous posts about installing a third brake light for added safety. I want to put one on my 73 std., but I see that to wire it, you should just splice a wire into the positive feeds for the existing lights, and then ground the third light to the frame. Seems too easy. Won't this put an extra strain on the fuse? Do you need to install a higher rated fuse? Will it dim the existing lights when the brakes are applied? I'm very skeptical about wiring it this way. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks! ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Wellllllllllllllllllll..................You could always use a relay...

LOL!!!

You only need to tap into one of the brake lights; they are wired together. And, unlike some *other* cars, the brake lights don't do double duty as turn signals, so no fancy schmancy circuits are needed.

I doubt the 3rd light will overload the fuse or dim the lights. Try it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

anthony,

if you want i think i have an old hot vw or vw trends article about adding a third brake light under the vent right below the rear window, if you want i can try to search around for it

-dana

Reply to
Dana & Becky

No need for a higher rated fuse, a third brake light will not use a lot more current. I have one installed in my beetle, just below the back window in place of the air vent which is now smoothed off. It is simply spliced into one of the existing brake light feeds as you said. The lights are not noticeably dimmer at all.

Reply to
Gareth Edwards

I mounted one of those LED third brake light bars inside the rear window, right at the bottom of the glass. Since I've got a trailer hitch and one of those wiring harnesses with the relay in it, I just tapped into the brake side of that. Hasn't caused a problem with the existing fuse. The extra lights on the trailer don't matter to the fuse either.

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Anthony) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I installed one of these for my Dad in his '78 Chevie. It really is that simple, except the only problem was that the wire that connected from the brake light wire to the new rear window light was too short, and it cut across some of the trunk opening space.

Reply to
cloud8

Ok guys, thanks! Anyone know where I can pick up a good unit for a reasonable price? I prefer LED's, they'll last longer and won't use as much juice.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I used one of those old Hella '67 Bug backup lights with a early Bus brake light red lens available from Wolfsburgwest. They used the same backup light on Ghias for a few years so they are pretty easy to find. I mounted mine on the bumber of my wife's '60 ragtop. Looks cool.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche