Tire Pressure

I think at this point he was trying to see exactly how far Dan had his head up his ass. I could be wrong. Have been before.

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

I'll have one of those Kuhmos and 4 beers, please. :-)

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

it relates simply because dan is proposing that stepping on a balloon will in essence *raise* the pressure till it pops...it won't...the pressure inside is just displaced from under the foot and the balloon stretches until the surface ruptures.... what he thought it had to do with tires, I don't know either, but he was kinda swinging at something, so I posed the question to show that the balloon will still pop when the reverse of what he believes happens...that's all...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

you are not wrong this time shag....

thanks to Scott for this picture of dan:

Joey Tribiani

That higher air pressure might make your ride a bit stiff. The tires are part of the suspension on your little guy.

ogg

Lynn Mart> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece on

Reply to
oggelbe2001

He is right. If stepping on the balloon causes the skin to exceed its capacity, then it behaves just as it would if it were at a high altitude, and for the same reasons.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Who are you, his boyfriend? (I typed up a much less flame-worthy response to your post until I realized I didn't know why I bothered.)

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

you are semi-correct...which is the whole point...can you follow me? stepping on the balloon puts MORE force on the outside(pressure)....high altitude puts less....can't see how that would be it failing for "the same reasons"....the "opposite" I could see, but you are wrong on "the same"...if you need a more thorough explanation of this, and the post you replied to, since its * APPARENT * you don't follow it, feel free to ask someone that actually feels like educating people as I do not....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yep. The altitude and balloon thing shouldn't even have been in the thread because it has nothing to do in reality with the tire issue.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

You're hilarious! ^^^^^^

Reply to
Dan Smith

That cinched it! You really don't know what you're talking about.

"Stupid people are funny!" - Shaggie

Reply to
Dan Smith

And you're wrong again.

"Stupid people are funny." - Shaggie

Reply to
Dan Smith

observation?

And just what do you think causes it to stretch??? PRESSURE!!!

Hell, this is grade school level science.

Reply to
Dan Smith

Gee Shaggie! I've never seen you like this.

What's wrong? You're mig welder go belly up?

Reply to
Dan Smith

"stepping on the balloon puts MORE force on the outside(pressure)...."

So Joey, you're saying that when someone steps on a balloon and it pops it's really imploding. You're saying it doesn't develop such high pressure inside that the balloon finally bursts from the inside out?...???

I'm not following that line of (il)logic. Please enlighten us with you brilliance (or are you just baffling us with your bullshit?).

Reply to
Dan Smith

"Dan Smith" wrote

Don't trouble JT with facts. He doesn't understand the meaning of the concept.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Well, it sort of is similar. As the balloon rises the pressure outside the balloon drops. The skin of the balloon can't contain the higher pressure inside the balloon at a fixed volume (because the skin of the balloon is neither strong enough nor rigid enough) so it stretches...and stretches...and stretches. This stretching lowers the pressure differential between the inside of the balloon and the ouside of the balloon by allowing the the internal volume to increase.

This continues until the skin of the balloon ruptures.

This is also what happens when you step on a balloon only you reduce the volume for a fixed amount of a gas (the air) by distorting the shape of the balloon until the pressure is so great and the skin has stretched so far that some part of the skin of the balloon ruptures.

When you add weight to a car you distort the shape of the tire. This distortion reduced the volume inside the tire. The tire stretches some to help keep the pressure differential reduced but it can't stretch enough to totally compensate so the pressure inside the tire increases.

When you have a fixed amount of gas (in this case air) in a container (the tire) and reduce the volume of the container the pressure goes up. This is why the tire pressure goes up as the weight it is supporting increases.

You already admitted the shape of the tire distorts. Now all you have to wrap your brain around is the fact that when you distort the shape of the tire you also reduce the volume inside the tire and the pressure increases.

I'm not going to go into the calculus supporting this. You're just going to have to research that yourself.

Reply to
Dan Smith

Yeah. I said that in fewer words. What have you added to the thread?

You don't need calculus. Linear arithmetic will suffice. Or, in its place, two brain cells firing in unison.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Lorem Ipsum,

In a prior post replying to your post I ended up by saying something about, "Now you need to wrap your brain around..." You are not the 'you' I was referring to. I was initially replying to you, then I was replying to Joey when I finished up.

Sorry about that.

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Smith

No, welder is doing fine. It's a character flaw of mine to enjoy being able to pull a string and watching the funny clown attached to the string dance for me. *tug* Dance for me little clown... *tug* Dance! *grin* Oh, by the way, you still haven't learned. You misspelled "your" again... AGAIN. Silly clown. :-) *tug*

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag