Transaxle leak

I have a small leak in a 68 swing axle trans, coming from what look like 'rivets' around one axle retainer plate. Epoxy from the outside didn't do it. What's the EASIEST way to fix this? I understand that the 68 Type III used 2 piece axle retainers and that they all leak eventually.

Thanks,

Bob Reeves

Reply to
Bob Reeves

"...the EASIEST way to fix..." Buy a gallon jug of Hypoid

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If you don't keep up with the fluid level, though, you will let it get a little low sometime and one of the main bearings (like on 4th) will get a little dry and start to make more noise... if you still don't keep up with fluid levels you could mess up your tranny.

Reply to
KWW

Are you talking about the large rings around each axle tube on the sides of the transmission? If so, I think you're looking at studs with nuts on them. Perhaps the nuts are missing.

Or are you asking about something out near the wheels and brakes?

I don't know of any part on a swing axle type 3 that is of a different construction from a beetle. Some parts are slightly dimensionally different (longer or shorter axles, different gear ratios) but the majority of parts are exactly the same.

I don't know of anything that might be called an axle retainer that is in 2 pieces on a type 3 and just 1 on a beetle.

-

Jim Adney

I believe it's called an 'axle retainer plate'. It's a ring that bolts to the side plate on the trans and holds the axle tube in place. It has gaskets behind it that seal and adjust the 'freeplay' of the axle tubes. I may be wrong about what year, but I know that some are solid

- one piece, and others (mine) have what look like rivets around the perimeter that are famous for leaking in time.

Reply to
Bob

Okay, I think I understand the part you mean. I'm not familiar enough with swing axle trannys, but if there were 2 different versions of this part I suspect that both styles got used on type 1, 2, and 3 over the years.

Sorry, but I don't know about any special propensity for the riveted version to leak. I can say that this question has never come up on the type 3 email list.

If you have a type 3 and would like better info on it, consider joining the type 3 email list. It's free and is the best source of type 3 advice and info that you'll find anywhere. Go to

We have about 400 members who are world wide, including owners of cars from 61 to 73.

Your question would be a good one to direct to the list.

-

Jim Adney