Turbos, Please help. Blow threw turbo.

I have a 1600cc Engine.

I have interest in a Turbo.

My engine is supposed to do 60hp.

I have always wanted to add a turbo, at the thought that it may then do 100+hp.

I have found some cheap blow threw setups.. do they suck?? why are they so much cheaper than draw through?

I am looking at a Dual Dellorto 40mm Carbs blow threw turbo? Is this scary being dual carbs and blow threw, or is it ok to buy? Will it give me the 100+hp on my stock 1600cc.. or is this farting in the wind. I know nothing about a turbo, just know the draw threw is better.. I don't want to buy it, if it wont perform.

If anyone knows about Turbos, please help me out.

Reply to
payments338

Go over to

sign up and then go to the forced induction forum. Read the stickies, lots of info about turbos and superchargers. Read everything posted there, lots of good info. Blow throughs require more work on the carbs, obviously, since they are down stream from the turbine. Things you need to consider along the way are COOLING, beefing up the bottom end to handle the added HP, will the driveline handle the power, better braking, and COOLING. Did I mention cooling? You are talking about doubling the hp, you need to consider the effect on the rest of the system as well. Do lots of reading before you leap, it'll save lots of broken parts and wasted $$.

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Swenson

1641 single 40 with small shot of NOS.This engine was street driven for a year.It's a lot of work to get all this dialed in.It is neither cheap or easy.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Check out this site here. If I hadn't inherited a neglected a one owner

1970 MGB from my late father inlaw then I'd probably have one of these setups on my Baja Bug.

Mac

Reply to
Mac

i would not dismiss lowbugget.... AJ Simms has a great following and excellent reputation... sometimes wait times are pretty long...i bought the turbo kit brand new in box from a friend... he bought it and it took so long to get that he bought a CB turbo setup with EFI.... it is an earlier kit from what i understand and it seems things have improved...it does make great power from my small engine, but beware *any* turbo "kit" is going to take some tuning, and a bad tune can ruin an engine with forced induction...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Not anymore, takes more than a year to get your kit and the the draw trough design with the huge Weber sucks.. Look at the manifold it attaches to, see the cavity just behind the carb? Its the "enrichment" cirquit.. Real high tech, straight out of the 40's..

Hell, a friend of mine has a four cylinder,16 valve,1500cc monoblock Bugatti from 1923 and that is a more modern design!

J.

Ps. Take a venture over to

and read the "Forced induction" sub forum, a few not so good experiences with the kit... Like most "kits" for the vw engine that is...

There is a reason why aircooled.net dropped this particular kit.

Reply to
Berg

carbureters are old technology.... so are turbo chargers... the sidedraft weber(and delorto) is a good carbureter. the "enrichment" (choke) circuit works very similar to the "choke" on most motorcycle carbureters.(up until they started going FI), and it is pretty high tech compared to a chokeplate that just closes off the top of the carb and forces the vacuum created by the engine to pull more fuel through the idle circuit.... a flat piece of metal on a pivot, talk about high tech...

hell does it matter? putting old technology on a vw 1930's engine design anyway.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

yeah and the reason is because the supplier (AJ Simms) who also supplied heads at one time to aircooled.net was unreliable....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani