type 4 - engine size and specifics by serial number?

can anybody tell me what a type 4 engine with the prefix "ED" on the serial numbers is?

specifically, I'd like to know the size in cc it is and year it was made, but "the more info the better I'd like it", eg: what type vehicle it came out of (bus? car? other?)& wether it has hydraulics or solids, bore, stroke, and other stuff like "this T4 engine compared to other T4 engines HAS features XXX but is missing features YYY", etc

have searched "all the normal channels"...could'a sworn I had a good link covering this info, but I've misplaced it, somehow :-(

thanks much :-)

Reply to
bill yohler

Speedy Jim

Karl

thanks for trying to help, guys, but somebody is =wrong= here (not sure who):

these sites say an ED prefix engine is an 1800cc:

(the VW FAQ's) the VW FAQ's at a different site:
and this BOOK says it's a 2.0: how to rebuild your volkswages aircooled engine/tom wilson/HP books, page 33, lower left

if we "equally weigh" the votes, we have three web pages saying it's an 1800cc (two at same site, though), and we have the VW FAQ's saying it's a 2 litre, along with the BOOK. so we're 'fifty-fifty' on the votes, more or less. short of dismantling the engine and measuring bore&stroke, how do I find out who's info is "100% known to be correct"?

thanks again,

Mr Unsure

Reply to
bill yohler