"Upgrading" horn

I want to put a more 'beefer' horn on my Bug, maybe something from a domestic car. Has anyone done this? Would I need to use a relay. I'm tired of the 'meek' horn sound.

Reply to
Mel P.

My horn died after 35 years and the replacement stock horn is much louder than the old one was. YMMV.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

yes and larger gauge wiring would/should help also.

I helped install some air horns on a VW based Kit Car and they were LOUD. That did put a drain on the electrical system though and dimmed lights and other components. lol

I personally like the distinctive Beep Beep of the air cooled VWs. ;-)

Reply to
One out of many Daves

I also like the sound of the stock horn. Anyway people usually ear the engine before we have time to push the horn. I really don't remember the last time I used it. I think maybe once a year on the annual inspection :-)

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

If you have a 12-volt system, use a 6-volt horn. It will be noticeably louder than the 12-volt and still go Beep-Beep. ......Larry H

Reply to
Mr Peabody

My horn just died and I am thinking of putting a Klaxon on it. With one of those I think I would start looking for excuses to honk at people.

LLB

Reply to
brassbend

"Shag" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I once saw an orange 1300 with 01 on both doors and the flag on the roof... Also had the tune of 'the Dukes' coming out of it's horns. Looked kinda cool!

Roger

Reply to
bug '59