Validity of new Oil Temp Gauge?

Just installed a new VDO oil temp gauge in Herman. New drain plate VDO sender, and 300* gauge.

For background:

1600 DP motor Bone stock, except for new alternator and 009 dizzy Stock 34PICT-3, aircleaner, exhaust. All doghouse cooling internals removed along with (non-existent) thermostat New stock DP heads (both sides)

Just did 4 miles of 68 MPH freeway, followed immediately by 4.5 miles of stop-n-go backstreets. The temp gauge read just-at-180* when I got home.

Is that normal? If so, what's considered abnormally high or low?

Thanks! Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Oil temp mostly determined by ambient temp and road speed. In a stock Type 1 running 70 MPH at 90F outside, oil can easily go to 200F.

There's no "magic" number and with today's multi-grade oils lubrication failures from too high temp are certainly rare in the VW engine. By far the greatest number of engine failures are from exhaust valve/seat failure.

Find out from experience what temps to expect on *your* engine relative to speed and ambient and use that as a guide to warning of cooling system problems.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:52:37 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

yep...i have a beautiful example of a perfectly good running, nice consistant head and oil temp engine with a broken #2 exhaust valve...without notice(no excessive valve lash at adjustments) it went.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Sounds normal to me. You get the higher oil temps doing highway cruising. Bugs love stop-and-go and cool down pretty quick. Absolute max temp I consider 260, with 240 being my yellow range.

I agree with Jim, abnormal for you is really a comparison to itself.

But here's a comparison to me. My old engine with a hammered main bearing, some go-fast goodies and NO external oil cooler would hit 260 in about 45 minutes of level highway cruising and could only do 20 psi of oil pressure @ 3500 rpm (about 65MPH). It was a shot engine and not healthy.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

sounds about right... i had a stock 1600c in my 72 beetle with a VDO oil temp ga. with a drain plate sending unit and it would run about 190-205* that was in so. florida in the summer time about 95-98* outside with 80-90% humidity

Reply to
dragenwagen

Ok, just gave it a better test, so PLEASE tell me what you think of these numbers:

50 mile highway drive. Mostly hilly (with long uphill grades followed by downhillers). Speed fairly constant at about 68MPH. Outside temperature +- 85* F Oil is Mobil 1 red top (15-50) and fresh

Temp gauge at highest point reached just-at-220*. When I arrived in town and drove the 3 miles from the highway to home, it dropped to +- 200*.

Would *this* be considered "normal" for most motors, and secondly, where is the "shut the darn thing down now" point?

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:39:07 GMT, "Larry St. Regis" ran around screaming and yelling:

your temps look good to *me*....i shut down if it hits 250....have only had to shut down ONE time in fifteen years...but that was because the engine was a "mutt" that someone had mixed and matched parts before i bought it... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Good temps. Drive and be happy. One good thing about Mobil-1 is that a crisis or two doesn't ruin it. When it gets much hotter out you might check again.

Reply to
one_of_many

The Puma came with a factory oil temp guage. The factory said hot was over 230 degrees in my manual. My super ran warm all summer over 200 degrees. I like 190 to 225 in summer. I don't have a guage hooked up in the bus yet but I will soon.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik