VW 1965 engine spluttering after switch off

Hi,

I've got a classic VW Beetle - vintage 1965. It has a 1641cc engine inside. It was running smoothly until recently.

The problem is thus:

I go for a 15 minute to 1 hour drive - I stop - and turn off the key. The engine still keeps on running - spluttering for about 30 seconds after this.

I do not have my foot on the accelerator and have also take my foot off the clutch.

I figure the problem may be caused by the new fuel my petrol station is currently selling - which contains ethanyol.

YMC

Could it be dieseling? do you have a idle fuel cutoff solenoid, maybe you can add one. dieseling is very hard on the engine. can break the crankshaft. at least stoping it by leaving the car in gear and if you have to engage the clutch in gear to stop the engine. sometimes deposits of carbon are glowing and igniting leftover fuel. does the group have other input.

Reply to
A Veteran

Timing can cause it also.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Switch to a higher octane gasoline for a while, see if it goes away. Keep running higher octane for a period of time along with some fuel additive that supposedly cleans off carbon deposits. Or have some mechanic try water treatment to get it out. After some time with no symptoms, switch back to lower octane fuel to save money. Higher octane won't do you any good other than stop the dieseling. If you get rid of dieseling, there's no longer a reason to run higher octane. A stock VW engine can run with 87oct.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I don't use diesel if thats what you mean.

As for the idle fuel cut off solenoid. I don't know about that - but it was working fine for 2 years before this happened.

To stop I let it splutter until it dies - which takes 10 - 20 seconds or so.

Yes, leaving it in 1st gear stops it effectively - but has that big shudder effect.

Reply to
YMC

seafoam...good stuff....

Joey Tribiani

Your symptoms are consistant with a failed or disconnected low-speed solenoid, the so-called 'anti-dieseling' valve.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Bob Hoover

I switched to a higher octane petrol - BP 98oct. The spluttering (after switch off) has stopped - but that's only for short distances.

Have not yet done a distance trip of 25km+ yet to see whether the problem occurs.

Reply to
YMC