VW Trikes

I am a VW and motorcycle enthusiast and have just had a LAK amputation. Prior to that I was thinking of building a VW engined trike but now I don't know if that's possible in my condition. I know some VWs (and Porsche) were made with auto/semi-auto tranny, but don't know if they would hold up with a modified motor, or if they would be adaptable. All suggestions welcomed.

Reply to
Phoghat

know if that's possible in my condition.

know if they would hold up with a modified motor, or if they would be adaptable.

Hi,

From what I understand (Without having worked on them myself) the auto/semi-auto trans requires engine vacuum to operate correctly. High performance engines do not always make as much vacuum, or it behaves a little different. In conjunction with a very differently behaving engine, some people say the auto/semi auto trans does not work well with high perf engine vacuum signal.

There are full auto transmissions that were used in other aircooled VW's I think, that would mate to a VW beetle engine with somewhat minor mods.. The beetle "automatic" was a semi-auto, it was a manual transmission but it did not have a clutch pedal. The clutch was operated automatically, relying on engine vacuum and some sort of sensor at the shifter. But you still had to switch gears like you do in a manual, and there still is a clutch.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson