what is this lid?

Hi I was wondering if any of you can tell me what exactly is this round lid that can be found on later beetles (not supers) under the bonnet hadle, as in the pic:

Thanks Ant

Pd.- Thank God that's is not my car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks but my penis, breasts and mortgage have exactly the right size. Not interested in your spam

Reply to
Ant

...that is to take the shift rod out of the car for servicing wiothout having to remopve the body from the pan

...gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Taking that lid out, in addition to one in the spare tyre compartment and one behind that, you can take the gear selection rod out of the center tunnel. Otherwise it won't fit out of the tunnel. The rod goes=20 from the gear stick to the transmission nose.

Reply to
Olli Lammi