wheel types? 5 1/2J?

Hi, today's question is about wheels. What does exactly the term 51/2J x 5 on my wheels mean? I guess the number before the "J" is something to do with the width of the wheel, but are those inches? mm? ein?

thanks for shearing your wisdom with this metric guy.

Ant

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks but my penis, breasts and mortgage have exactly the right size. Not interested in your spam

Reply to
Ant

Your rim is 5 1/2" wide by 15" diameter -- suspect the J might be offset code.

Reply to
Wolfgang

should be "15 - 5 1/2J" (for a 15" rim) Believe J refers to the cross section shape where the tire bead fits -- J is a safety rim, intended to attempt to hold the bead at the outside edges even when the tire is run flat, as in a sudden blowout, ao opposed to older designs where the bead easily slipped to the center. % 1/2 is the width inside (IIRC) bead lip to inside bead lip, though the tire places use a gage/caliper that measured out to out but (If I recall corectly that the actual dim is in to in) the scale allows for the steel thickness.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel