What is water/air cooled newsgroups?

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:47:50 -0400, Joey Tribiani scribbled this interesting note:

I've grown used to the 1972 Chevy/GMC trucks. Even more bullet proof than the '73-'87 version!

John Willis

The GMC/Chevy Suburban has an amazing history from the Caryy-All to the monstrosity it is today. I have a '91, the last of the squares, the first of the rustproof fenders. Wanna buy it? :)

Reply to
jjs

On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:13:50 -0500, John Willis ran around screaming and yelling:

would LOVE a 72...the nice body style but some better features and partial redesign(chasis wise) compared to the 67-71's....a fello local to me has my favorite one...it is a 72 4x4 shortbed(stepside)...woohoo, it is nice...and redneck too...lifted, big mud tires, etc.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

A Jeep with a Chevy emblem????

What is a short/wide good for??????

I thought a truck was for working.................small bed is useless and ...................nevermind. I remember now, all of the followers in the world saw a real cool one, and just *had* to have one.

Please disregard questions.

I understand the uses for Suburbans, and some other SUV's. But not for soccer moms and grandmas to go to the grocery store..............I have no problem with the fuel consumption either..................just in case someone thinks I'm some sort of "tree hugger". Just can't get

*on board* with the popular ideas. Some make sense if you haul stuff, but i see way too many people out there cruisin' around in big ol' trucks and SUV's to pick up a vase and some flowers. I assumed that the flowers were for the woman that has to put up with the foolishness of the COOL dude................then women started drivin' 'em.......................UGH!..................I'd venture a guess that almost half of all 4X4's never see offroad use these days......................Nevrmind all of this.

It's just simple "my experience" observations. This bunch of rant is to entice some to think, to endulge me in a show of disgust, and not in any way a useful post. However, it is a list of my opinions and such, based on *my* experiences, and is in no way gospel, or intended to represent such. It is also not intended for use as fact or any other fashion of reference for anyone to use in any other odd argument, unless you can find a way to turn it against me and quote me, when I later post something that is contrary to this post. (not terribly likely , by the way, for I am pretty solid on the subject and have been for years).

Now,...................I have recently Purchased a home , and have been nudged into action on the Dune Buggy I never talk about. .............yeah, I have a dune buggy in progress,..............very slow progress. It has been cut to length, and the fropnt and rearend have been temporarily attached to allow for towing. I may post some pictures of this , as it is Hysterical looking right now. Stock, rusty rims with worn out tires. Tiny looking things as it sits,.............The Body is going to require some BIG tires to work out the dimensional oddity that currently exists...............Not much real progress, Just thought I'd put some VW content in my post.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Hear, hear. I had 4x4 Suburbans because I lived way out in the country where we were the last to see a snow plow, and in the winter I liked to haul my stuff under more cover, and we could sleep in it comfortably if trapped in the snow in the middle of nowhere, which happened once a year for two years. 13mpg - kinda spendy but we only drove when we had to, or when campinging in the truck. A huge 4WD RULES out here.

But for scocer moms? Fugetaboudit!

Reply to
jjs

On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:21:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) scribbled this interesting note:

Nah. I kinda' like the '72 Suburban. If I wanted to have any Suburban, that would be my choice.

John Willis

On Sat, 15 May 2004 02:09:44 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Picking up some flowers, a vase to put them in, and a loaf of bread? Not that you could fit that much cargo into one of the silly things!:~)

John Willis

Would that be the 3door version of the Suburban????

I like that one too.

If I had to have a suburban that's be one of the top picks for me too.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Anyone remember the International Travelall. When growing up, a neighbor had a International Travelall and also an International Pickup Truck.

Here is a link to a picture of a Travelall and a link to a vintage I/H ad.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

How is it significantly different than those up to '91, 'cept older?

Reply to
jjs

????

Reply to
jjs

There's one in town. Painted bright yellow and green. Painfull. There's also a nice Carryall converted to a 350V8 and stick shift. That one's strange, too.

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:15:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) scribbled this interesting note:

Granted, my experience comes from the pick-up trucks, not the suburbans, but from what I can tell (from driving one of several 1972 Chevy and/or GMC trucks for about as long as I've been driving at all, and observing and driving my brother's 1987 Chevy truck) it is a matter of robust design. From the suspension to the tie rod ends to the brakes to less use of plastic in the body the earlier trucks just seem to last longer and perform their intended purposes better. Of course this is just my subjective opinion. I also like the way they look a whole lot better!:~)

John Willis

I heard the Golf was slowly catching up the Beetle, especially now the earliest ones are 30 years old. I don't think you can go anywhere in the world without seeing a Golf!

The old Series VI Morris Oxford is still being made in India (Morris stopped making them in 1958), and up until recently VW made a rebadged Vauxhall Viva for the Indian market!

Reply to
Howard Rose

I know a guy with a pre-production MGB from late 1961! It's kinda amusing, as my Dad has one of the last 1962 MGA's built, and his friends MGB is older :o)

Reply to
Howard Rose

Yes, but, as I wrote, that's not one car, it's four going on five different ones that happen to be named alike. The Corolla is even in its ninth or tenth iteration by now, with the first and last ones having as little in common as a Mercedes 220 S and A 160 do.

That's impressive for duration of production, but certainly not for production numbers.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:29:14 -0500, John Willis ran around screaming and yelling:

you are right..they do look better...i don't know if they perform their intended purposes *better* than the 73-87's, but they do look better....all in all chevy made some damn good worktrucks...70's and

80's ford trucks were lightweights compared to the chevys.... JT
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I think You Can find old toyota landcruisers world wide too,...............Even in some pretty out of the way places.

Land cruiser is not the same nowadays, but the "old" bodied ones are all over.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:01:43 -0400, Joey Tribiani scribbled this interesting note:

Well, considering that two 1/2 ton trucks, one a 1972 and the other a

1987, both with leaf spring rear suspension, cannot haul the same amount of weight...seems to me that they perform very differently. My brother had to install helper leaf springs on the rear-end of his truck, and still it seemed to not handle loads as well as a '72!:~)

John Willis