Restoring Ghia Wheels -- Advice Needed

What the shop told you is the way to go. Powder coat is durable, better than simple primer. Over the powder coat you will simply paint the appropriate VW color. What I am doing with my oval, blast, powdercoat then paint prairie beige with white. - DB

Reply to
DB

I'm going to have the stock wheels on my Ghia restored. This starts with sandblasting to remove all paint and rust. A local vintage VW parts and service shop tells me that Powder Coating is the way to go. I want the wheels to look completely stock. Does anyone have an opinion or advice regarding wheel restoration? Thanks.

Reply to
Xenophobe

Yup, that's correct. The colour paint is only on the face of the rim, the insides and back are left in the (about 75% gloss) black powder coat. If you want to be really "original", leave the very, very edge of the rim, on the side that meets the tyres in the power coat. The "end" and the other edge in body colour (anyone understand what I mean?!?).

Reply to
Howard Rose

...check your local powdercoater for available colors...they have quite a selection now days...should be able to get very close to stock, and have much greater durability.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian