Window scraper

Fellow air-cooled drivers,

I need to replace the outer window scraper on the driver side door on my '74 Super Beetle. I can't drive the car in the rain until I do. I looked in my Chilton and Bentley books but they don't cover the replacement of door seals. Can anyone tell me what is involved in replacing the scraper?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
azazel scratch

Remove door handle, armrest, and window crank. Remove doorpanel and possible plastic moisture sealing plastic (put one there if you don't have one) Remove door window Tape door paint over with masking tape where it's visible near the scraper Pry scraper out one side at a time with a 1-2" wide putty knife or metal spatula (Screwdriver may be too small, causing paint chips) You will see the small metal clips that hold the scraper in place, they clip into small square holes inside the window opening. You may want to get a bunch of new ones, the old ones may be broken or break during removal.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I've just don't this on my 1303, and Jan has it pretty much spot-on. I would recommend to keep the old clips as the clips in the new scrapers (even genuine VW ones) are too weak.

Reply to
Howard Rose