Wipers flopping around

My wipers on my 68 bug have way too much travel. right side especially goes off the car, then rests on the cowl. I know its loose in the linkage, but i'm looking for ideas for where to look, wiper shafts?,,somewhere on those arms under there, can they be rebushed? anybody , ideas?

thanks

Reply to
Cletus

First of all, observe it carefully while the wipers are in motion... Are the arms slipping on the shafts where they attach? If so, you could get the position just right, and file the shaft slightly into a "D" shape and re-tighten with the lockscrew on the flattened spot... You wouldn't have to replace the shafts for awhile... It's a fussy job to pull everything out and disassemble and change the shafts and it's nice to avoid if possible!

Reply to
Red Bug

first pull the wiper arm out from the windshield and check that your setscrews are tight.....i had this same problem on my 68 and it was because the screw kept coming loose....mine are however worn out pretty good, so i recently ordered up some new pivots and gromets from Aircooled.net to replace mine...

Joey Tribiani