Wiring Problems: Please Help!!!!!

Hello,

Does anything bad happen if you remove (i.e; cut out) the diagnostic plug in the engine compartment of a 72 Super beetle convertible? Also, I forgot to mark which wires went where on the coil before I removed my motor and I am not sure if I'm putting them back correctly. Now that my new motor is back in, I don't get a spark. Does anyone have a link to an easy wiring diagram for the coil. I believe the grey with green stripes wire comes from the ignition switch to the positive side of the coil and the combo (a yellow and a black wire terminating in one clip goes to the negative side. Is this correct? Does the black fused back up light wire go to the positive or negative side of the coil?

Also, shouldn't the DF post of the generator/ Heavy Red & White Wire have juice when the ignition is turned on? It doesn't. :(

Your help is really appreciated! Thank you, Theodore

Reply to
Theodore

OOOPS! I forgot, I also have a Pertronix Ignitor (which I hope I haven't fried) if that makes any difference. Thanks again.

Reply to
Theodore

Never mind. I found Speedy Jim's page, (whom I would like to thank very much for answering my question in advance!) which showed me the error of my ways. So apparently I did fry the Pertronix by hooking the wires up backwards. There still wasn't any juice to the generator but whilst driving around the block the red light went out and it started working normally.

Anyways, while setting the timing I fried the ignition switch and one of the wires coming out of it when the clamp for the timing light shorted on the coil. Electrical work isn't exactly my cup of tea! I should be able to replace the switch and wire and maybe someday I'll actually get to drive my little orange bug again!

Theodore

Theodore

Disconnecting the connector is bad for the VW dealer's service dept, who won't be able to charge for a "computer diagnostic" fee, assuming you can find a dealer to actually work on a classic. I went to my big local VW last week to talk tech, and they gave me the sad news: we haven't supported aircooled for years and wouldn't even think of working on one now! My jaw just dropped. Talk about orphaning your offspring...Maybe it's just a USA attitude.

Seriously, disconnecting the T20 is fine, just insulate each wire so you don't short any contacts together.

Deb 71SB

Reply to
Debra Chervenka

Hi Debra,

Thanks for info! Theodore

Reply to
Theodore

You've only just NOW discovered how VWoA has abandonded their little cars? VWoA will leave behind anything that's not "fruitful" in their eyes....just a bunch of greedy bastards that make crappy cars. I can't tell you how many "new" vws I've seen with obvious electrical problems. My friend's sister got a new beetle; three weeks in the passenger side power window broke. Two months in, one taillight and one headlight went out, 3.5 months in, the engine coil fried. (a recall on THOUSANDS of cars) I haven't seen her for a while now, so who knows what else is broken now. Almost every VW I see driving on the street (new ones) have a brake light out, a headlight out, or some piece of trim falling off the side of the car.

VWoA can kiss my ass. After I get my mild performance engine done, my car will leave their crappy Passats and Jettas in the dust anyway.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony