1991 240 hot start problem

I think that I'm having a starter problem (again!!). On hot days (mid-90's and above) after the car sits for 20 minutes or longer, it won't crank. If I leave the key on and jump the connections on the solenoid and starter motor, it will spin the starter. Then I can start it with the ignition key. It's got a new neutral switch and the starter is less than one year old. Is there any other possibility or should I just drag out my wallet and buy another rebuilt starter? It's a high dollar enough item that I'd hate to replace it and discover that it wasn't really the source of the problem Thanks.

Reply to
David Littlewood

Have you tried swapping a different battery into the car? I realize hot starter problems are more often the starter itself, but I think the symptom you have of working after you bypass the switch stuff suggests the battery can't get the motor out of stall. Anyway, swapping is cheap and easy enough.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I would say if the starter spins when the connections on the starter are jumped (Assuming that the "jump" is from the big wire to the little wire on the solenoid) then both it and the battery are OK. The problem would be in the neutral switch, ignition switch, or the associated wiring.

Reply to
Mike F