1996 850 - does it have remote door locking?

Hi all

my newish to me 850SE wagon came only with the 2 keys - no remote central locking unit. I have been told that all 96 850s (I am in Australia) came with the remote receiver etc installed. I got a cetral locking beeper off ebay for a few dollars and tried the procedure to code it (TURN IGNITION ON AND OFF 5 TIMES then press one of the buttons) but did not work.Yes, I did install a new battery. There is no LED on the top of my dashboard, but there is a plastic cover ~1inch x 1.5inches in the centre of the dashboard adjacent to the windscreen. When I removed it there was a white and purple wire attached but certainly no LED.

How can I determine if the car has the stuff needed to remote operate the locks. If it does not have it, what is the procedure to install whatever is required? is it a diy job??

regards

Chris

Reply to
Chris