2006 v70 airbag problem

i just bought a new 2006 v70 a few days ago and i am having problems already. when i test drove the car at the dealer before i bought it, there was a warning on the dash that said "passenger side airbag off. urgent service needed." (or something close to that message). the dealer "fixed" it before i bought the car and when it was delivered, this message was gone. i said to the salesman who delivered the car "ok, you have my money now. what do i need to know about the car that you haven't told me?" he responded that he was pretty sure that i wouldn't get the message back again, but "volvo is going to recall that (passenger) seat in about 5 or 6 months." !!!!!!! don't you think that i should have been told this before i bought the car?

well, guess what? after driving it for about 10 miles a couple of days later, the message came back on. has anyone else had this problem? i am pissed.

thanks, jim

Reply to
ksampson3

Um.... so take it back and either get them to fix it properly or get your money back. If they know about the recall they should have told you before purchasing. And again, if they knew about the recall they must have a temporary fix until seat replacement. If not there will be loads of V70 owners complaining.

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Reply to
Jabber

Most states have a lemon law and if the same problem is fixed three times you can get your money back or something to that effect.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Thanks for the warning. I bought an 06 v70 2.5T just a few days ago. So far, all is normal re air bag warnings. But does this recall business mean the passenger side *might* not work? I'm thinking about going back for something else. I feel a tad too much engine vibration at idle for this expensive of a car. When I pointed it out to the salesman (we're both sitting in the car idling), he said it was cold. When I showed him that the temp gauge was straight up, he said, "Oh, you can't go by that." Then he said, the engine was new so a little vibration was normal. I don't know ....

Good luck to both of us, Dennis

Reply to
mypublicmail

Bring it back and ONLY complain about the airbag light. The idea is to establish a lemon law trail. When you bring it in for the airbag light make that your only issue. Three tries and you can lemon law the car in many states.

Reply to
Steve

thanks for the replies. i checked the lemon law in maryland and it's actually 4 tries to get it right. believe me, i've started a paper trail already.

thanks again, jim

Reply to
ksampson3

The salesman's comment makes no sense to me. Why would Volvo delay and or "telegraph" a recall if the decision has been made to make a recll--or not as the case may be? Seems like there would be some serious liability issues there, especially with a safety device such as an airbag. What does the dealer service rep say about a recall. Might want to ask him that question with the salesman standing there...

Check out the online Volvo forums, like

and others. If there is aproblem significant enough to warrant a recall, it is likely that it willhave made it to these forums. There are also a few Volvo salesman that postregularly on Swedespeed. They seem to be well informed and are straighttalkers, get a second opinion from another party.There is a code (DTC) that goes with the warning message that shouldidentify the locationof the fault, look at your paperwork and if it's notthere ask them for it. What was it? Good luck, 'nother V70 owner

Reply to
PS

well, i picked the car back up today and it turns out that they didn't replace the passenger seat weight sensor because it was on back order (service manager's words, not mine). instead, he said that he had to contact the volvo tech line (volvo n.a., i assume) and get a tech assist from them. the following is verbatim from the paperwork that was given to me when i picked the car up:

"passenger air bag lamp is on. fault trace for code 025D set in srs for occupant weight sensor. r&r front seat to inspect connections for ows. check ok clear code. code resets after 5 restarts. call tech line. tech line recommends to replace buckle force sensor. replace buckle force sensor per volvo tech line."

sounds to me like a possible temporary fix because they didn't have the correct part in stock. i don't get a real warm fuzzy about this whole thing.

jim

Reply to
ksampson3

Done this before solves the problem the OW sensor is not subject to failure as for contacting the tech hot line this means that the part is either on backorder or a restricted part either way Volvo cars is involved with your complaint on your new car Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Keep the documentation

NEW MANTRA:

LEMON LAW LEMON LAW LEMON LAW

Reply to
Steve

glenn, what does it mean when you say that "volvo cars is involved with your complaint"? can i use this to my advantage in some way? if i do need to do the lemon law thing, is it better to have "volvo cars" involved from the get-go?

thanks again, jim

Reply to
ksampson3