240 voltmeter-charging

Hello,

My '89 240 does not appear to charge fully when driving with the lights on. The voltmeter goes slightly to the left. If I turn on the AC it gets worse.

Sometimes it works fine.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

I sure hope it's not the alternator.

Allan Ballard

Reply to
Greenthumb

Get the regulator checked. My son came back from his first solo after getting his licence and there was a horrible smell. The battery was boiling. He wanted to pull it out until I explained about boiling sulphuric acid.

The reg was shot and was putting 17.5V into the battery. No wonder it died.....

Reply to
XYZ

My guess is: it is the alternator. Specifically, the brushes. I don't know about the 240, but the alternator used in the 740 has an easily replacable brush/regulator module ($35 US the last time I bought one). The only warning I have if you decide to replace or inspect it yourself is to disconnect the battery first.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee