81 and 84 245 compatability

Hi folks, Just bought a 81 245 as a parts car for my 84. How can I found out what parts are interchangeble? I bought it mainly for the rear hatch and rear drivers side door. It's in poor shape, but seems to have probelms with parts that are ok on my 84 and vice versa. My 84 is a manual and the 81 an auto if that helps. Real adventure driving it home, sheesh. Safe enough, but no ac in 97 degree NC. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Bob

81 245 DL 84 245 DL 90 740 GLE (95 POS Mercury Mystique with cracked block)
Reply to
procobob

Virtually all the parts are compatible, very little changed until '86.

Reply to
James Sweet

Assuming the OP is in U.S.A, the '81 would have a 2.1 litre engine with mechanical fuel injection, the '84 would have a 2.3 litre version of the same engine with electronic fuel injection. Factor in the different transmissions and resulting rear axle ratios, and virtually everything in the drivetrain is different. Also, the bumpers and bumper trim would be completely different, but that would be obvious. The rest of the body parts would be interchangeable, as would everything to do with the suspension.

Reply to
Mike F

They're all interchangeable though, you can swap bumpers and trim between the two, axles, driveshaft, transmission, engines, you can even swap the cylinder heads between the engines if you wish to change the car from one fuel system to the other. Yes there's differences, but what I was implying is that the body and interior is identical between the two cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Right, but the more common use of a parts car (at least in my experience) is swapping small, easy to change parts, like injectors, control units, sensors and trim parts. Not too many people have the time, skill and determination to do the kind of swaps you've done.

Reply to
Mike F