93 - 940 transmission kick down cable

My wife's '93 turbo - 940 transmission kick down cable seems to stick periodically causing the tranny to "stick" in second gear. Before I breakout the tools and loose a long weekend any suggestions? I'll try lubing the cable tonight with the trusty WD40 but wanted to post before I do that in case it's a bad idea.

Pedroman

LOOSE the devil's mark in my addy to reply to me personally

Reply to
Pedro

WD40 won't hurt anything, but the problem is usually the cable wearing into the inner sheath where it bends to go down to the tranny. Replacing the cable even on a lift is troublesome at best. On jackstands it is a real PITA. You have to drain the tranny remove the pan and laying on your back it is difficult to see to install the new cable.

Reply to
Rod Gray

Right. I've found that once a kick down cable is sticky, it's finished, no amount of lubrication will bring it back. The spring inside the transmission that pulls the cable back is quite weak.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
John Robertson