960 (1995) 3L engine noise.

Hi;

I have the sound of a badly adjusted tappet coming from the B6304 3L engine. When listened to inside the car it sounds like the old air compressors on the old lorry's. This noise is drowned out as one drives off, but is very noticable when parked and the engine idles. I doubt its the tappets as they are unadjustable? as when I listen to the injectors they sound quite noisey when listened too via a long screwdriver on each. I suspect that this is why I am getting the Lambda light on wiith a 314 code (Cam shaft sensor). If I clear the fault, it come straight back on.

I plan to disconnect each injector in turn to see if that will give me a clue.

Any suggestions as to why to go to from here?

Regards Ian

Reply to
ian

Well check the camshaft sensor if that is what the codes suggest.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

The noise and code are probably not related. If the cam sensor is dead, the engine will not start. One of the tappets (aka lifter) has collapsed. Inside each tappet is a one way valve that allows oil in, but not out (oil does and should leak out very slowly) to keep zero clearance and quiet valves. This check valve either fails or gets a piece of something in it, allowing the oil to leak out, and high clearances and noise result.

Reply to
Mike F