960 transmission problem.

Has anyone experienced a problem with the transmission, where the Sport/Economy/Winter lights flash alternately and the amber arrow in the instrument cluster flashes on and off? The acceleration also feels like the car is in 3rd gear (Failure mode?).

Please advise.

Thanks.

Brian

Reply to
bfiske

You have a problem, and a code can be read, if you have access to the correct Volvo tool. The most common reason for your symptoms is the gear position switch (aka pnp switch), which is located on the side of the transmission, and is a bit of a pain to change.

Reply to
Mike F

W-S-E switch will also cause this problem. Usual cause of symptoms is loose connections or dirty switch contacts where W-S-E switch is concerned. Gearbox is being faulted to Limp-Home mode.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

It was the switch on the side of the transmission. It was replaced and now the 960 is back in action. Thanks all!

Brian

Peter K L Milnes wrote:

Reply to
bfiske

I should have elabourated a bit. There are lots of things that can cause this problem, of which we've mentioned just two. In my experience, the pnp switch is the most common culprit, but the WSE (mode selector) switch is also quite common, especially when food is spilled on it. Personally, I wouldn't change any part until I had the diagnosis of the trouble code.

Reply to
Mike F