98 S70 engine seized?

I got a call from my son last night about his 98 S70. The past week he was driving in a rain storm and went down a flooded street and the car drowned out. Since then the car would not turn over. He took the car to the Volvo dealer and yesterday they told him the engine might have seized up due to water getting in the engine. Is this possible or are there other possible causes for the car not turning over?

Reply to
kmy

I doubt that it "seized up". Strictly speaking, that would mean that some parts have stuck together due to corrosion or lack of clearance. But I have heard of engines ingesting enough water into a cylinder to make cranking impossible because water is incompressible. I guess they could take out the spark plugs and see if it cranks then. But first I would check for electrical problems. (OTOH, I'm no expert.)

Reply to
L David Matheny

The engine is most likely hydraulic locked beacause the cylinders are full of water. Do NOT attempt to turn it over until you have pulled out the plugs otherwise you may bend the conrods, assuming this hasnt already happened.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

: Um - and get it done ASAP. Water sitting in cylinders - that can and will : munge seals and corrode stuff in as little as a few days.

Well I passed this info to my son and he was going to call the volvo dealer with this info.

Reply to
kmy

Am sumwhat concerned about your dealers seeming total incompetance... If you son told them...flooded road...stalled...unable to turn over... They should

*immediately* assume the engine is water locked and pull out the plugs to confirm.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

If it ingested enough water it could be hydro locked, remove the spark plugs and try cranking it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Call the dealer? Something is wrong with this picture, they're the *dealer* and this is a relatively new car, you shouldn't have to tell them what's wrong, they should be easily able to diagnose it themselves.

Reply to
James Sweet