Anyone have suggestioins for Snow tires for a 91 740 ??

Hi All,

ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATONS FOR SNOW TIRES? Ive been checking around and the more looking the more confusiing it is !!! Some say the Pirelli are good, and some say their crap (dealers that is..) Looked at the GT Champiro ($ 80.0 installed) but I dont want to take chances on Indonesian's. The most appealing are the Dunlop, Michelin X Ice, Goodyears, Khumo's.

Im on a strick buget, how about y'all ???

Regards,

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Back in the old days, we all used to get 2 snow tires for the drive wheels. These help get you going in the snow, but they don't do much to help your stopping power on snow and ice. I don't remember, but I don't think the 91 740 had ABS brakes, which also help.

Winter tires now have a layer of soft rubber on the exterior tread which gives much better grip on ice, both starting and stopping. A set of 4 lasts about

3 seasons, and then the outer layer is worn off, although they are still good for non-winter driving. Beware of buying used winter tires, as they may have no more of the soft rubber left. I have a 98 XC, and the winter tires make a huge difference, even with all-wheel drive.

There is a lot of info at

I don't work for them, but I have bought from them. They post some comparative tests (stopping tests on a hockey rink!) that are interesting.

Reply to
jt

I have a '91 940 (essential the same car as the 740) and for years I've been running Dunlop Wnter Sport tires I buy from Tire Rack. I use 4 snow tires and have found these to be excellent in snow, wet pavement as well as dry pavement at high speeds.

Reply to
mdrawson

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I bought a set of Pirelli Winter Carving.

They seem to work well in icy conditions. I've only had them on my 760GLE for a week, and it has only snowed once, and not badly enough to see what they are like.

They are quiet, and don't give the best traction in dry conditions. The car feels like it wanders in the lane at 120km/h, at 100 it is better.

I paid $100 each installed (Cnd$) for the tires, a 2nd line from a no-name wasn't any cheaper.

I am happy with them so far

Size: 185/65/15 on steel wheels, Pirelli Winter Carving

Reply to
Robert