car on ebay

I'm a total novice. Am I getting over my head with this car? Does the rust look like something not wort dealing with?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bennett

Guess I need the link huh?

Reply to
Jeff Bennett

Arghhhh!!!! The correct link.

Jeff Bennett

There are so many variables here...like, How badly do you want this car?, Do you have plenty of money to restore it?, or Do you want to restore it ( almost anything can be repaired now days), Do you want this car because of the make and model or just to have a car? see> all these are decisions that you have to make, I know I'm not being much help but it needs thought when buying something like this,,and another thing is...how far away from the seller are you? is the car dependable to drive it home? Things to think about [^__^], If you REALLY REALLY WANT IT !! then you will be sorry if you don't go for it. Best of luck to you [^__^] Cheers, Roger

Reply to
duke39

If you can afford to have the rust repaired professionally, a Jensen P1800 this nice is very rare - they were known to be rust buckets with mediocre assembly quality. I guess after all these years a few of them have survived because they were exceptional...

Reply to
mj

Cutting out the rusted spots in the floor and rebuilding the jack point boxes is a pretty technical time consuming job. If you want to learn a lot about metalworking go for it. Either replace or have the gas tank lined. Replace the fuel and brake hard lines.

BTW I've met Irv Gordon and worked on his car. This car is nothing like his. When I first saw Irv's car it was closing in on a million miles and it looked as if it was only six months old.

Bob

Reply to
User

So you would wait for a better example?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bennett

my opinion is: buy it if you can get it for < $2k, and have another $10k in the bank for repair and upgrades... otherwise...keep l@@kin'.......

Jeff Bennett wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Nice car, now all you need is a woman named "Pussy Galore" to ride beside you. LOL

I like the P1800s

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Reply to
Jeff Bennett

It's hard to find one that's not rusted underneath, but there are some. I'd buy one with serious mechanical defects that had a really sound unibody than one with structural problems. The cars are so simple that you can find tons of people to work on the mechanical problems, but finding a good restoration shop that's affordable for something less than show car quality is very hard to do. There's a shop near my area that does excellent body restoration work, however they want $10K up front, and the car will be parked outside the shop for at least 6 months before they evn touch it. Seldom will a job come in for less than $10K. They usually go over before the car leaves--most times a gorgeous trailer queen that only drives in parking lots and arenas for shows.

The alternative is to have a garage, spend lots of time with an Easrwood catalog, buy a bunch of tools, learn how to weld, fabricate and shape metal pieces and dp it all yourself. IF you've got the time and inclination. Either way ir's not cheap.

On the other hand you may be able to find one that someone has done the body restoration to that will sell it for less than $10K and you'll have what you really want without all the associated hassle. Upholstery work can be done anywhere, paint work can be done anywhere, interior trim and plastic bits can be had and is all DIY fiddling. I'd look at more dough and let the eBay beater ride.

Bob

Reply to
User

Here in Arizona it's hard to find a car that's got any rust anywhere. When you do, it's either somebody who has driven to San Diego on the weekends, or it's a car that has been brought here from elsewhere.

That said, my Volvo is from Halifax. My body paint is oxidizing and flaking off (sun exposure), but even after more than 10 years in Canada, no rust underneath or anywhere else I can find.

Reply to
jmcgill