"Dry turning" in v70 XC....?

Still shopping for the best used v70 XC.......

The '98 I drove last night (162,000km) had a curious steering quirk.... sitting still on the (paved) lot, the steering wheel would turn with normal effort to either the 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position, but was virtually unmoveable past these points. After rolling forward/back without complaints from the brakes, this seemed to settle, although on several occasions during the test-drive around town I noted periods where the steering effort seemed to increase briefly.

Power steering reservoir is full, and no puddles under the car. In 28 years of driving, I've never seen/felt this.

Is this what a failing rack feels like?

Kevin

Reply to
K Bourke