Help with my 244GLE please

Hi all.I am in Australia & I have an 244GLE model.The past 2 - 3 days I have noticed that the volt device on the dash board has been extremly low.Also my head lights are very dull & my high beam cannot be switched on also the interior light is dull.Everything else is fine,the battery is only 3mths old,radio seems fine the boot light is bright & nothing out of the ordinary is happening.One thing I have noticed is there seems to be a squalling noise coming from near the alternator (which has been reconditioned within 3 mths).If you have any ideas what it may be please let me know as this is help me take it to the right workshop.Thanks again.

Melissa

Reply to
Melissa Griffiths

I would most certainly suspect the problem is with the alternator.

Some parts stores or repair centers will test it, for free, in the car.

Reply to
zencraps

Replace the brush pack in the alternator, depending on the year it may be part of the voltage regulator.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi Melissa

Why don't you call the NRMA and get them to check it. They will diagnose the problem - tell you if it is a faulty alternator. you know they will tell you the truth more than any dealer would.

good luck

John

Melissa Griffiths wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

Hello Melissa:

As the car is not here in front of me, all I can surmise is that the alternator is the issue--and this is the very first thing I'd check.

You mention the alternator was "reconditioned" 3 months ago. Was this done by a shop? Or did you buy a rebuilt or remanufactured alternator and install it or have it installed. If any of those are the case, it should be covered by some sort of warranty. The "squalling" noise (same as "squealing?") indicates to me one of two things: first would be an improperly tensioned belt (ie. not tight enough and easy to check.)

If the belt does not appear to be loose and was replaced when the alternator was, my best guess is failing bearings in the alternator.

Note: spray a bit of water on the alternator to simulate a rainy day. If the "squalling" gets worse is is almost certainly bad alternator bearings.

Reconditioned or remanufactured components are not necessarily a bad thing--but the level of quality control is not what it was years ago--either here in New York or in Australia.

When I was in secondary school I worked for local Volvo dealer; if a car came into the shop and needed an alternator the customer was consulted and asked if they wished to have a new one--or the old one repaired. Most opted for the repair, and the part was sent out to a local shop and returned in hours as good as new.

That shop the dealer used is still in business and I needed an alternator totally rebuilt in a hurry so stopped by and was told "we don't do ANY automotive work these days.just can't compete on price." Their focus now is on large industrial electric motors as price is not an issue and they can still generally deliver same day.

The real problem is even finding parts for rebuilding an automotive electric motor. Case in point: the rear wiper motor on my 240 wagon failed. I tool it apart and saw all it needed was new brushes and the brush holder. Total repair would have taken me less than 30 minutes but I failed to find a source for the parts anywhere here or in other countries for that Bosch motor--thus had to buy a "remanufactured" unit for $100. I could have fixed it for parts that can;'t cost more than $10 USD.

I gather the situation is much the same in Oz. Inexpensive auto electrical parts are sold by chain stores as rebuilt and one pays a core charge--which is refunded when the customer brings back the old part. Those alternators etc are then sent to China, Malaysia, Mexico or whatever country is offering the best wholesale price for rebuilds.

One poster had a valid suggestion but was thinking of the US market. His idea was that you take the car to a retail chain store that sells auto parts and have them test it as many here in the US will do that (AutoZone, Advance Autoparts etc.)

The only chain like that I'm aware of in Australia is AutoOne. I seem to recall from my last visit that AutoOne is the largest outfit of that typeand has nearly 200 stores. Whether or not they offer free alternator testing is something I simply don't know. I do recall another chain with a name like AutoBarn but could be wrong on the exact name. I do remember they only have 90 stores or so in Australia.

Here's a link for AutoOne:

Anyway, good luck but DO have the alternator tested--and don't drive far from home until it's sorted out or you will be facing a walk and a tow job. If an alternator goes bad on an FI Volvo once the battery is depleted even a jump start won't keep you going until that battery is fully charged by a charger or a new alternator.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc

Hi Melissa

I seem to remember you're in Victoria, in which case RACV rather than NRMA, but he's right. If you're not a member you should be; annual membership is a lot less than a night out, and heaps less than *good* night out. And if it is a slipping belt they can fix it. For free.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

She's in Sydney mate...

Andrew McKenna wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

Yes Im in Sydney & I am a member of NRMA but with the advise I got from here it was more useful than NRMA.Thanks

Reply to
Melissa Griffiths